Need help with an AMD build

Matt__
Matt__
Name Dropper First Comment
edited November 2022 in Help Choosing Parts

I want to build a PC for some light gaming (think StarCraft, Diablo 3, Valheim, Factorio, etc.) + heavy AutoCAD and Revit, some Photoshop and InDesign, and Rhinoceros 3D.

Thinking of doing this... I have never used a fully modular PSU, so I am unsure if I need more cables to go with it or what cables I would even need. Am I missing anything else?

Ryzen 9 7900X + Deep Cool - AK400 WH Performance CPUCooler

ASUS X670E Pro Prime WiFi motherboard

2x16GB Ripjaws S5 - DDR5-5200 PC5-41600 CL35 RAM

MSI - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus3X Overclocked Triple-Fan 12GB GDDR6

NZXT - H710i Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower (trying to avoid all the RGB stuff - less is more as far as I'm concerned)

Corsair - RM850 850 Watt 80 Plus GoldATX Fully Modular (could not find a semi-modular 850Watt)

Samsung - 870 EVO 1TB SSD 3-bit MLC V-NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SolidState Drive

Budget: no more than what I am already spending (about $2,000)

I think I have my mind set on DDR5 for future proofing...

Best Answer

• Yingdong
    Yingdong ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Likes
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

Since they are both SSD using tlc 3D nand flash, concern of difference in reliability is complete nonsense. In addition you are using software like autocad/photoshop that use large chunk of storage as cache, the speed of the storage becomes critical. Data from corrupted hard drive is recoverable, but that should only be concern on servers run by big enterprises. Hard drives would comes in handy when you need really huge capacity of storage(like 16tb/24tb), only then hard drives would become significantly cheaper than ssd in same storage capacity. Nevertheless, it's your choice, having a hd as backup wouldn't do you any harm.

I personally would go for AM4, as currently you would need to pay nearly double for AM5 CPU, motherboard and ddr5 ram. Future proof would become a joke when the price comes down(remember that 5900x msrp at $550 and currently it cost $340), the current price for AM5 CPU, ram and motherboard are simply unreasonable. Even you do need the performance lift, I'd say the better value option would be the current ongoing 12700k + free z690 d4 combo promotion.

Answers

• Although AK400 is a decent single tower air cooler, it still can barely handle the 12c24t 7900x. I would suggest you to look for a dual tower cooler at the least(I recommend Thermalright PA120/FS140). Also, why are you going sata ssd instead of m.2 nvme drives? Sata ssds are much slower than nvme and would give you trouble in cable management. For modular PSU it should have all cables you need and it should be much easier for cable management than the semi modular ones.

• Thank you Yingdong, I wasn't even considering those... now that I know, I swapped the SATA SSD with the Western Digital - Blue SN570 1TB TLC 3D NAND PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe M.2 Internal SSD. It's 7x faster in read and 6x faster in write. I feel maybe I should get a HD as well for backups... I'm reading these faster SSDs tend to get corrupted.

I couldn't find the Thermalright on Microcenter so I'm going to go with Deep Cool AK620 High-Performance CPU Cooler.

I'm concerned AM4 is about to die but I also don't want to be the guinea pig on AM5. What are your thoughts on AM5 vs AM4?

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99