Recommended power supply for 6900xt build?

Options

I am going to upgrade my current build, which is all modern aside from my gpu (1060), with a 6900xt which is also going to require me to get a larger and better thermal performing case as well as upgrade from my 650w power supply. I was doing research and saw that amd recommends a 750w but I saw in both tests and from posts by users that the 6900xt can have power spikes that trip overdraw. I was wondering if anyone knew if a 750w or even 850w would be fine or should I move up to a 1000w power supply?

Answers

• PowerSpec_KenJ
    PowerSpec_KenJ PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Options

The 6900XT is a 300W card, so with another 300W for potential CPU power a 650W would be the absolute minimum. For a better efficiency curve and to protect against capacitor aging, I wouldn't go below 850W, but 1000W would be the best option.

• Yingdong
    Options

Yep, 750w should be plenty unless you are running some power hungry cpu like 12900k/13900k. A typical 6900xt system draws ~600w(cpu 200w, gpu 300w and ~100w for other components like fan, ram, storage, rgb etc). About the power spike, that wouldn't be a serious concern as proper psu from naming brands already took overcurrent in consideration, even if you draw total 800w of power from a 750w for temporary few seconds it would still be fine and running normal. However it is important to get both a good brand(seasonic, superflower, etc) and higher wattage rating for future upgrade headrooms.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

I have a 6800XT and the power requirement is very close to the 6900XT. I never have a problem with my 850W PSU.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99