Powerspec G436 Power Supply replacement issue

Hi folks!

I'm having an interesting PSU issue. I bought a new Corsair HX1200 to upgrade my existing PC (with headroom for a GPU upgrade at some point). I've been building my own PCs for like the past 20 years, but due to GPU shortages I bought a premade last year, a Powespect G436, because it came with a 3070. So I install the new PSU and the PC doesn't even turn on. It clicks, one LED on the mobo blinks (the CPU LED), then nothing. So I try all different cables, including the one to the wall and still doesn't work.  I put the original one back in and boom it's fine. Hmm. Then I take a PSU out of one of our other PCs - it's an HX750 - and it also doesn't work. It clicks like the other one and otherwise nothing. I then put the HX1200 in that other PC and it starts up just fine. I'm at a loss. Perhaps it's an incompatible 24pin or 8pin CPU on the mobo?

G436 motherboard and PSU:

• Mobo - MSI Z490 Plus - apparently not a mainstream retail board but something used in pre-mades
  • PSU - Powerspec 750BSM - semi modular so I can't use the same 24 pin / 8 pin cable

Totally would appreciate any thoughts here. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong since a lifetime of experience is that's usually the case, but I feel like I've ruled everything out.

Comments

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99