Micro Center AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and Gigabyte B450M DS3H WIFI bundle - not working

Options

Hello,

I have purchased the Micro Center bundle of a free motherboard with an AMD processor. I purchased the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU with the Gigabyte B450M DS2H Wifi (Rev 1.2) motherboard.

Unfortunately, neither seems to be working. I have gone through these debug steps so far:

1. Assembled the CPU and motherboard with no other peripherals other than display/mouse/keyboard and 32GB DDR4 memory. Board powers on, power supply (500W) and CPU fans spin, but nothing happens, no beeps, nothing appears on screen ("no signal")
  2. Tested the memory in a another working system (Gigtabye B450M DS3H V2 with AMD Ryzen 3 3200 CPU) - that system powers up fine, so memory is not the issue.
  3. Tested the Ryzen 5 3600 CPU in that working system - at power on hear one long beep and two short beeps, nothing further, nothing appears on screen.
  4. Tested the Ryzen 3 3200G CPU from the system in step 2 above in the new motherboard - same symptoms as in step #1.

It seems that both the new CPU and motherboard are bad. This is surprising to me, and the first time in 25+ years of building systems that something like this has happened. The only other thought before I bring this back for replacement is,maybe the new MB BIOS has not been updated to support the AMD CPU - but I would still expect it would have booted the Ryzen 3 3200G CPU, which it did not.

Am I missing something, or it is just time to bring these back in for replacement? Thanks.

Comments

• Ian
    Options

Greetings,

You can try to run through our troubleshooting guide located on our Community website to see if that makes any change: https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/2818/tech-article-how-to-troubleshoot-a-newly-built-pc-that-will-not-post-boot-power-on

However, based on what you've tried it does sound like you may have a defective part unforunately.

• mbo
    Options

Thank you. I had done much of the things in that article. The only other thing I wondered was if the BIOS in the motherboard was not updated to support the CPU - but I assume that if they were bundled together that it was. In any case, I was finally able to return to Microcenter (an hour away so I have to plan the trip), and they exchanged the components for another set that I will set in the next day or so. They did not seem surprised that both components were bad. This is the first time in 25+ years of builing systems that both the motherboard and processor were bad. In any case, hopefully all will be well now.

• mbo
    Options

UPDATE: Set up new MB and processsor. testing with no cards installed, just power supply and display connected. It is a little better, but still not booting. I get the single long beep and 2 short beeps when powered on. I am a little confused about what I research on the web. Many places say those beeps mean "bad video RAM" and suggest changing the GPU. But, I am not using a GPU, just the onboard HDMI video. Some indicate it may be a RA problem. Which is it? I have ordered some RAM that is supposed to be compatible with this motherboard and will test in in a couple of days. But the problem indicated by beeps, based on the researched info, is not clear. Perhaps, when there is not a GPU, the system is trying to use the system RAM for video memory and running into problems with it (though the RAM works fine in a B450M DS3H V2 motherboard)?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@mbo

Code is GPU error. Ryzen 5 3600 has no APU, you must install a GPU for the system to post.

• mbo
    Options

@PowerSpec_MikeW , thank you for the clarification. My web searches missed that, but my fault, I was focused on the POST beeps and was not finding anything specific to the 3600.

Funny, when I brought my previous set in to MicroCenter and described the issue, that was never clarified, just "oh, it might be a bad CPU or board, we'll just exchange everything". I just thought they had tested the bundle as working and nothing else was needed. My bad for not asking enough questions.

I finally got it working by installing a PCI-EX16 graphics card.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99