G700 PowerSpec stops suddenly

Options

I have an older g700 PowerSpec that has worked well for quite a while. Recently when I start to render a video using Davinci Resolve it runs for a while and then stops suddenly. I checked the unit using Cinebench and noted the same behavior after a short time running. Then suspected the power supply and replaced it with a slightly higher capacity unit. Same behavior. I’ve checked the temperatures and hardware and noted the GPU fans were running off/on and the GPU was at 55C. One of two fans was not running at all. I watched the unit with the cover off and when the PC stops, the fan on the cpu continues to run but the light around the fan goes off. I’m curious if the CPU is failing or if the graphics card is failing?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Deherb124

Overall, sounds like a motherboard failure. Most likely the chipset, based on your symptoms.

As for upgrading or replacing. The technology has evolved overtime, including the chassis. We use mostly Lian Li 205 Mesh on our G700 series now. I don't see that there are a lot of components worth keeping if you're doing a new build. Though you could build an B550/X570 platform and use that to verify the other components are working. Then you'll just replace the board. Use it as a second system, give it away or sell it.

Here's our latest model in the G700 line: https://www.microcenter.com/product/652272/powerspec-g712-gaming-pc

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Deherb124

Could you explain what you mean when you say it 'stops'? It's not powering off. Is the screen going black? Is the program crashing?

• Deherb124
    Options

The screen shuts off - to black. The processor fan light goes off but the fan continues to run. I have tried to run Task Manager, but it won't activate. Last night the computer did reboot itself following a Cinebench test when I was manually running the GPU fan at 50%. Monitored the CPU temp and watched it rise to around 70C. Overall processor load was pushing 80 to 90%.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Deherb124

Check your event viewer logs at the time of the crash. Custom Views - Administrative Events. What do you see at the time of the crash, before the Kernel PWR critical event?

• Deherb124
    Options

Here's a snip of the Event Viewer Log:

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Deherb124

Pretty sure the volmgr and EventLog error are going to tell us it failed to write an event from the failure. Indicates the drive is inaccessible, but typically with a drive problem you would hard lock, your frame buffer would freeze. The screen wouldn't go black. If you have another drive you can throw an OS on and test it's still worth checking that.

Question with the fan LED going out. This does come back on immediately after you restart the system, correct?

• Deherb124
    Options

Correct, the errors stated that events could not be written, but the 'lock' occurs and normally does not reboot the system - i have waited several minutes.

Yes. theLED comes back on following reboot. I do not see any other lights go out on the PC. The OS drive is a WDC WDS500G2B0B which was replaced under warranty. I do not have a spare NVMe drive. I currently have about 174 GB available on that drive.

Hate to akk as this PC still has great performance (in general), but would it be best to rebuild with new components? Or, just get a new PC?

• Deherb124
    Deherb124
    First Comment
    edited December 2022
    Options

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99