Does repasting a GPU void the extended Microcenter warranty?

Options

TLDR: If I take apart a GPU to replace the thermal paste and I purchase an extended warranty with Microcenter then is the Microcenter warranty voided?

I am unfortunately discovering that a lot of new GPU's need new thermal paste soon after purchasing. This happened with a Sapphire 6950XT I bought which had a pump out issue within a month. A new RMA card also had a pump out issue withing 2 weeks. I took apart the second card, could visibly see the pump out at the center, repasted with IC Diamond 24 carat and been perfectly fine for several months so far.

I am frustrated that taking apart the GPU voids the manufacturing warranty because they cheap out on the paste. I know there are laws that protect against that but I also don't have tens of thousands of dollars to spend on lawyers to fight back.

Thanks for any help!

Best Answer

• Shoan041
    Shoan041 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

Generally at our store it is a manager decision that is case by case. In most cases something like that we would still cover under our replacement plan, even if the manufacturer Warranty does not.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99