PowerSpec G706 fan replacement

Options

Hey all,

I need a case fan (front bottom) replaced. It's vibrating and extremely loud under idle which from browsing the forums, looks like a common problem. I took apart the case but couldn't find a model number on the fan - only the Lian Li brand. All other fans are normal. I know this because I can replicate the sound by manually spinning the faulty fan (all others sound fine). I ordered an Arctic P12 TC 120mm case fan from Amazon which someone said was a good replacement BUT it only came with a 3 pin connector. Looks like the mobo needs a 4 pin connector. Does anyone know exactly the fan / model I need to buy? RGB or non RGB - doesn't matter to me.

Also, while I'm here, I noticed that there's another wire leaving the fan that branches off somewhere else into another connector wrapped around by tape. Anyone know what that is exactly? Temp sensor or what?

Thanks a million!

Best Answer

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

@Swaggaccino

I would highly recommend the Arctic P12. I use a ton of them. You can use the 3 pin fan on the 4 pin header, it'll run fine. 3 pin doesn't have the PWM so control isn't as finite, but it'll run fine on DC mode and the P12's are quiet.

Second wire is RGB. It'll daisy chain into the other fans RGB connector. You may have to reroute if you have the cable that goes to the board. Then the second male connector going to the other fan that you won't be using anymore if you're switching to a non-RGB P12, just wrap it with electrical tape.

Answers

• Thanks a bunch Mike. I decided to go with Arctic P12 RBG so it comes with PWM for the 4th pin.... just in case. It's a bit tricky snapping that pin onto the mobo and I'd rather not risk it over $5 difference.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2022
    Options

@Swaggaccino

It shouldn't be an issue. The header has key for 3 pin fans, so you know how to seat it properly. There's a plastic piece on one side, you'll use the two plastic notches on the 3 pin fan connector. That'll show you how to install it properly.

Adding pictures that'll probably explain this better than I can.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99