How do I turn off the rgb on my new G441 Powerspec (MSI Pro Z690 DDR5 Wifi board)?

Options

The Mystic_Light app does nothing to any of the rgb lighting on the case or processor fans. Pushing the buttons on top of the case just changes patterns and colors. No way to turn them off completely.

This seems like it should be a simple adjustment, but I must be missing something. Thanks for any help!

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@skillet

On the Mystic Light app, make sure you have select all set for the LED headers. Will it change the color at all for the AIO cooler?

• skillet
    Options

Hi Mike,

No, it does not change the color of the AIO cooler, nor any of the other fans. The Mystic Light app doesn't seem to have any effect on the RGB no matter what is tried.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@skillet

Right click the "Start" icon and go to "Apps and Features". Lets uninstall the Mystic Lights app, and then install MSI Center. We'll see if that responds.

https://www.msi.com/Landing/MSI-Center

• skillet
    Options

Thanks, Mike.

Uninstalled ML app. Installed MSI Center. It basically does nothing. The Mystic Light feature does not change the RGB and the Graphics Fan Tool does not appear to change fan speed. It does, though, show the fan speed in the FROZR AI Cooling feature. What next?

Note: In the fan "silent mode", with no system load at all, the sys fan shows it is running at 1190 rpm. Is that right?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@skillet

Try this. In the Mystic Light software, set everything to steady, color red. Toggle the M button on the chassis until everything is red, then try to change it via software.

• skillet
    Options

Thanks, Mike. But after setting to Steady, Red and using the M button to make everything Red, the software still does not allow control of the lights.

I tried to set other colors, and OFF, and none of it effected the lights on the system. Does this normally work on other G441's? What now? Would something like openrgb be worth a try?

Also, with CPU temp of 32C and GPU at 24C, shouldn't the sys fan be slower than 1200 rpm? It's pretty loud for basically no load on the system.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    edited January 2023
    Options

@skillet

Never had an issue with this model. We've used this board on the G440 as well. I'll test our mockup in the morning. Post a picture of task manager, and what Mystic Light services are running in the background. Look for Light Keeper. We'll compare and see what's going on. Did you have to reset the PC or anything? Just never worked out of the box?

That's the normal default on the bas MSI BIOS. You can adjust the curves in MSI Center.

Updating this as something occurred to me. I think we're just not passing the instructions onto the ARGB controller. Most likely means the header from the ARGB controller to the board is not seated properly. I would check the header on the board itself.

• skillet
    Options

I've not reset the PC, nor made any type of changes before using the Mystic Light app. It just did not work out of the box.

I'll check the ARGB controller header - is this the connector at the top right of the board, labeled JRAINBOW2 on the board schematic?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@skillet

Yes, that's correct. Make sure it's seated properly. If you have any ARGB devices, I'd also suggest plugging them in to verify it's not a DOA header.

On the quality check we have a custom RGB software that'll toggle through all three colors for the QC technician to verify the RGB is working properly, then once they confirm it will set the Rainbow pattern we want for that specific board out of the box.

• skillet
    Options

Checked the JRRAINBOW2 connector. It was ok, but I reseated it anyway. Mystic Light still does not work. Other than what came with the system, I have no other RGB devices.

BTW, I also find that when the system goes into sleep mode, it doesn't always wake with a mouse movement or keyboard stroke. I have to hit the power button on the case,which is a problem based on where the case is placed.

• skillet
    Options

here's task mgr processes and services

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@skillet

Software appears to be running normally. Retest with a static color, and pressing the 'mode' button to match what the PC should be set to now that we reseated the ARGB cable. Next thing we could try if you're comfortable, is moving the cable down to JRAINBOW_1 and checking for a bad header.

I know there are no issues with Mystic Lights on our lab units. RGB functionality is tested on the line for every single unit. Our software hooks into the MSI SDK, if Mystic Lights isn't working, the software won't work either, it uses the same mechanism. I will see if I can replicate any issues with the software tomorrow morning.

• skillet
    Options

Some good news! RGB now works correctly. Turning rgb off with ML works - they can also be turned off with the M button, where that didn't work before.

It also looks like the fan speed curves can be set as well in the FROZR AI Cooling feature, where they couldn't be before.

Unfortunately, now that rgb is working, the GPU temperature is now showing 0 degrees C in the MSI Center app, whereas earlier it was showing about 25C. Clearly something is wrong here.

Also, the wake from sleep is not working from the mouse or keyboard.

Thanks for all your help so far - hopefully we can get the last items resolved as well.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@skillet

I'll pull up your serial and see which GPU you have and if it's going to be compatible with MSI Center tomorrow morning.

As for the wake with mouse/keyboard, this is a BIOS setting, it's not a setting I typically adjust if it's disabled in our defaults, but I will find out what the setting is tomorrow, we can issue a custom BIOS with this setting as a default.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    edited January 2023
    Options

@skillet

Steps to enable wake on USB:

1. Tap "Delete" on startup to enter BIOS.
    2. F7 for Advanced Mode.
    3. Settings.
    4. Wake Up Events Se tup.
    5. Resume by USB Device = Enable.
    6. F10 to save and exit.

I did verify you have the MSI Ventus GPU which should be compatible with MSI Center. Installing now to test more thoroughly. It looks like there is a common issue with MSI Center, of the GPU temp jumping between the actual temp and 0.

Update on the GPU Temp. Afterburner works. MSI Center wasn't showing a GPU temp for me at all. Make sure to update to the latest Nvidia driver. You should get a prompt from the preinstalled GeForce Experience app to do this right away. Let me know if you're still seeing a 0 in Afterburner.

• skillet
    Options

The BIOS was indeed set to "Resume by USB Device: DISABLE". I changed it to ENABLE and it works correctly now. Thanks - strange that it came with that default.

The GPU temp is now showing in MSI Center at 28C as it should, so that is apparently working correctly now.

Unfortunately there are still anomalies:

1) In Control Panel I set the power mode to Balanced. Every time I reboot the system, or whenever it comes out of Sleep mode, it changes to Power Saver. When it does that, the display and sleep timers no longer work. How do we get it from changing to Power Saver with each reboot or wake from sleep?

2) The fans are loud when the system is idle. Trying to adjust fan speed with MSI Center FROZR AI Cooling does not change the fan speed. If I choose Manual Mode, and set all speeds in all 3 intervals to 5%, nothing changes in fan speed. The sys fan stays at 1200 no matter how the curve is changed. Is there some other way I should be adjusting fan speed, rather than MSI Center? When everything is less than 30C, it doesn't seem necessary to have the fans running so fast (and loud).

Thanks!

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    edited January 2023
    Options

@skillet

1. This sounds like it's being done by the User Scenario feature in the MSI Center. If it's set to silent mode it'll change this to power save. I'm investigating this further.
    2. Set the curve in the BIOS.

1. F7 for Advanced Mode.
    2. Hardware Monitor (Right side).
    3. Select the CPU fan. Adjusts curves here. Do not throttle the water pump.
    4. Check Smart fan, adjust the curves as you see fit.

Confirming your power plan issue is due to the User Scenario overriding the setting. Keep this on Balanced and adjust the curves in the BIOS. I prefer that interface over Frozr AI.

Note: Do NOT throttle the water pump for the AIO. This should always be at 100%.

• skillet
    Options

Yes, MSI Center User Scenario was causing the power setting to change after boot or wakeup. I switched it to balanced and things work correctly.

I'll look into the fan speed next.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@skillet

CPU fan are the two radiator 120's.

The three case fans, go through the fan/ARGB controller on the back. The fan control does not connect to the board, they're relatively quiet 120's. If you want to go a step further, you can disconnect the case fans from the controller and connect them directly to the board.

• skillet
    Options

I notice that changing the curve in the BIOS did not have any effect on the sys fan - it stays at 1200 no matter what is set. Is the sys fan displayed in the BIOS actually the 3 case fans?

From your last comment, it appears that the only way to control the 3 case fan's speed is to rewire them. Correct? If they are rewired and connected directly to the board, is their speed then controllable through the BIOS? Which connector(s) on the ARGB is the case fans? And where would it (they) connect on the MB?

What happens to the rgb on the case fans if the fans are rewired to the MB?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@skillet

Could you screenshot what you're seeing?

Yes, if you were to disconnect the fans and connect them to the board, they are controllable in the BIOS and should be controllable through the Frozr AI as well.

• skillet
    Options

Not sure what you are asking for a screen shot of - could you please clarify that for me.

Specifically which connector on the ARGB controller should be disconnected (there are several connectors labeled as FAN #), and where specifically should it plug into on the MB (which fan #)?

As an aside, I'm a bit confused that these case fans are not controllable the way they are wired now, because when I run the "cooler boost" in MSI Center Graphics Fan Tool, the fans rev up to full speed and then slow back down after 30 seconds. Seems like they are being controlled by MSI Center now in order to do that. Yet the Frozr AI won't allow any adjustment in "manual mode".

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@skillet

The Hardware Monitor tab in your BIOS. Press F12 to screenshot it. Please screenshot this and we'll figure out what's what. Select DC mode.

You can do this, it'll give you individual control over the fans. Sorry, it is connected to the board, but the fans are chained off the controller in DC fan mode. It's an option, but it really shouldn't matter much overall. Sorry for the confusion here.

They are DC fan controlled as a set. You're hearing the GPU fans spin up, these are usually off if you're under 50C on the GPU.

• skillet
    Options

Shots of Smart Fan Mode and the Default Mode.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@skillet

Thanks for the information. In the morning, I'll match your setup and do some testing to see why the fan curves are not responding appropriately. The controller does have it's own power source via SATA power. Should have additional information for you early tomorrow.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@skillet

If you have time tonight, please remove the back panel and attach a picture of the ARGB/Fan Controller.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@skillet

Could you trace the braided cable going over the controller? Looks like it's going around to system fan 4. Is this correct? Verify the other side is going into a splitter and to the radiator fans.

• skillet
    Options

The braided cable goes through the chassis and connects to a fan header - it's the coolermaster fan on the top front of the case. Not sure if that is called fan 4 or not. The other end connects in a splitter connector - one end plugs into the argb board (second up from bottom left). The other end of that split cable goes to a connector that is not connected to anything. You can see it hanging in the picture just to the bottom left side of the argb controller.

• skillet
    Options

Note: The sys fan4 connector on the Mother Board goes (via two wires) through the chassis to the bottom center connector on the argb controller. It is the right hand two wires of the 4 wire connector (labeled FG and PWM on the argb board.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99