3D Print of the Month: The Torture Toaster Test

Options
This discussion has a more recent version.
MicroCenterMaker
edited February 2023 in 3D Printers

How well is your 3D printer calibrated? The Clockspring Torture Toaster is designed to test your printer tolerances, overhang, and bed adhesion. It prints with the sides lying flat, and toast inside the toaster. There is a gear printed on each side and a lever on one end that is supposed to pop the toast up. 

You can find the files here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4803370

Our Setup:

Printer: Ender 3 V2

Filament Used: Inland Purple Silk PLA

• Nozzle Temp: 220°
  • Bed Temp: 60°

Infill: 15%

Print Time: 15 hours

Software: Cura Slicer

No Supports, No Bed Adhesive

The Print:

I printed the Torture Toaster a couple of months ago, and although it didn’t pass every test, I was able to pull the lever, pop out the toast, turn the gears, and the stringing was minimal. Here are the pictures from that print.

I recently moved my printer to a new desk and did not re-level the bed.  I used the same filament and printer.  Here are the results.

When I first attempted to pull the level, it snapped off. I bet you could guess that my toast pieces did not pop out.

One side prints different angles of overhangs with the number of the angle printed above. Mine are a bit stringy.

The second side prints a series of tolerance tests. Each of these should move up and down freely. I can only move the .5 tab. Also, so stringy!

Lesson Learned: If you move your 3D Printer, you will probably need to recalibrate it, even if you only move it 5 feet. 

Comments

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99