Adding a 3.5" hard drive to a Powerspec G439

Options

Apologizes in advance if I do not use the proper terminology.

I need to add a 3.5" hard drive (WD_BLACK) to a Powerspec G439. This drive will be a data drive.

I have opened the case and now I need guidance in properly connecting the new HD. There are existing cables bunched up near the power supply. Obviously some are in use for existing components. Do I just carefully pull out the existing cables in order to find and empty slotted connection to connect to the HD? I have not yet seated the HD.

Also, I assume the transfer cable necessary to connect the HD to the motherboard is not within the bunch of cables. I have old PCs that I'm sure I can find the correct cable, or is that not a good idea?

Finally, I know what the cable connectors looks like (for both power and transfer), so in regard to the transfer cable do I simply look for the male connector on the motherboard, or is there a specific location on the motherboard that I need to look for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Best Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Answer ✓
    Options

@slovenc0417

Yes, for power the SATA power cables would be bundled in front of the PSU. One is in use to power the ARGB/fan controller on the back. You should have at least 7 available.

Any SATA data can be used. Should have been a few in the accessory box. If you didn't receive them, we can ship some out to you. You can use any of the 6 SATA ports on the board, they're all native.

• slovenc0417
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks for all your help and input. All installed and working well. 

Answers

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99