Going for a 4090/i9 13900K build -- does anything about this look off/not compatible?

Options
Kellen
Kellen
Name Dropper First Comment
edited January 2023 in Help Choosing Parts

Sorry for not posting an HTML part list AND not putting link in comment. I'm new and it's not working! Please see below for parts!

-- TLDR: Please check to see if these parts are compatible and would work well in a really good performance for an RTX 4090 / i9 13th Gen build! (See build parts!)

This is my first time having a fully customized prebuilt PC made for me. I'm not an expert at all when it comes to hardware, but over the last week, I've definitely learned a decent amount (albeit confusing at times.)

If anyone can please take a look at this build and give any advice for performance, compatibility and cooling/airflow properties (along with opinions on hardware selections) you would be so appreciated!

I basically have around 3 main questions, including the above.

1) Would this motherboard be good for the build?

2) Should I get a better/higher power supply? (Estimated Wattage = 908/1000)

3) Any other tips/help?

I'm in love with the new H9 Flow case, so I really hope everything fits well/works nice with this case.

I'm trying to go for a full on future proofed gaming rig, and this is around the price I would want to spend! I play all types of games, sometimes all over the place!

Thank you SO MUCH!

------------------------------------- BUILD PARTS -------------------------------------

CPU: Intel - Core i9-13900K Raptor Lake 3.0GHz Twenty Four-Core LGA 1700 Boxed Processor - Heatsink Not Included

MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z790 MPG Carbon WiFi Intel LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard MSI - Z790 MPG Carbon WiFi Intel LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard

RAM: Corsair - Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR5-5200 PC5-41600 CL40 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit CMT64GX5M2B5200 - Black

CASE: NZXT - H9 Flow Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case - White

POWER SUPPLY: NZXT - C1000 Gold 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply

VIDEO CARD: Gigabyte - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming Overclocked Triple Fan 24 GB GDDR6X PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card

CASE FANS: Lian Li - UNI Fan SL Infinity Fluid Dynamic Bearing 120mm Case Fan - 3 Pack White

WATER COOLING: Lian Li - Galahad 240mm RGB Water Cooling Kit - White

2.5" SSD: WD - Blue 4TB SSD 3D NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive

M.2 / NVMe SSD: Seagate - FireCuda 530 2TB 3D TLC NAND PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe M.2 Internal SSD

------------------------------------- EXTRA -------------------------------------

OPTICAL DRIVE: ASUS - 24x Internal DVD±RW SATA Writer

CASE LIGHTING: Corsair - iCUE LC100 Case Accent Lighting Panels - Mini Triangle - 9x Tile Starter Kit

Best Answer

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

What's this PC to be used for? Games? If so, get the i7 13700K or even the i5 13600K. The 13900K is not the best gaming choice. The 13900K tops out at 5.0Ghz while the 13700K goes to 5.4Ghz and the 13600K 5.1Ghz. Games want more clock speed, not more cores.

You're mixing and matching the brands of cooler (LianLi) and lighting (Corsair). While you can do this, each one needs its own software. I recommend you pick one brand and thus one piece of software or it's just a hassle to control it all.

The NZXT H9 case has nowhere to put a DVD internal drive. Get an external DVD if you need one or else a case that has a 5.25 bay.

Answers

• Kellen
    Kellen
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2023
    Options

@magarity Thank you so much for your input, I really truly appreciate it :-)!

I use PCs for all kinds of things. Basically an all around type of build. I didn't know that the i7 13700k would be a better choice for gaming, though. Which sounds a bit more appealing. Would the i9 13900K slow things down, gaming-wise? I've read up on it and watched a couple benchmark videos, and it seems like the i9 averages a little bit higher on FPS vs the i7?

I'll try to check out different lighting, as I really love the way the LianLi fans/coolers are!

I kind of figured I couldn't put an internal DVD drive in the H9 Flow. Does everything else fit inside of the H9 Flow?

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

An i9 won't slow down games but you'll pay about $200 and not be able to notice a difference. I suppose I should qualify and say there are probably some games you can find that would want more cores, BUT in general, it is safe to assume games want more Ghz rather than more cores. And the i7 has plenty of cores and more Ghz. So, it is a case of do you just say you have an i9? Otherwise, you're just spending on something you won't even tell.

• Kellen
    Options

@magarity Yeah, I just wanted to get an i9, just for extra measures for making my computer run any programs. I use Wallpaper Engine on Steam constantly, and really want the extra boost on this as well as FL Studio sometimes.

I might reconsider at the last minute, so thanks for letting me know and I'd probably save a lot of money going that route!

Also, is there an easy way to check compatibility between case clearance between everything? I know I can search and use the measurements, but sometimes the measurements are wonky and they put them in different orders.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99