Why does my PC turn on and off multiple times before eventually booting to bios on startup?

Options

This just started happening about two months ago. Just before this, one of my RAM sticks died and I replaced it with one from a different company. Both RAM sticks that I have are DDR4 and 8gb but one is a gskill trident z and the other is a gskill ripjaw. Does having two different sticks of RAM cause my computer to constantly post to BIOS and the on-and-off power cycle on boot up?

Best Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Whireless

It can be, depends on the specs for each RAM stick. Generally, you'd clear CMOS and let the stick with the looser timings train, then tweak as necessary. The on off power cycle sounds like memory training, which shouldn't be occurring every time. It sounds like you're in some fail safe settings with MRC disabled so it's training every single time. Load your defaults, load XMP. See if the problem resolves, then test for stability.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Whireless

Depends on the board, should be on the Tweaker tab. ASUS calls the menu AI Tweaker. Gigabyte calls it MIT. Asrock calls it OC Tweaker. MSI just calls is OC. Sounds like you're already in that menu if you found the MRC setting. Should be in the parent menu for that. Extreme Memory Profile.

Answers

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99