Help with PC Build - Replacing dying tower

Options
Claiger
Claiger
Name Dropper First Comment
edited February 2023 in Help Choosing Parts

Hi all,

I was looking to put together a replacement tower for my current PC that is about 5 years old. It has recently started randomly restarting and I am not sure if it's a part-failure and don't really want to diagnose what it may be. Currently I have a 1070 ti video card, a 7700k intel processor, a 500 gb 2.5" sata SSD, 16 gb of DDR3 ram I'm sure (I think I built before dd4 was a thing or when it was just becoming a thing). 

I was looking to replace with the following build:

I feel like this would last me at least a few years before I maybe needed to swap out my video card or potentially RAM, but realistically I feel like this will last me another 5 years which is the plan. I don't know if I need any additional case fans or anything and I don't need a particularly big machine. I have no intention to run SLI video cards or add any extra peripherals. 

Comments

• Claiger
    Options

To add some more insight, I play a wide array of games on PC but even with my current build I can typically run the higher end graphics. I'm trying to land as close to the 1500 mark as I can, closer to that than 2k. Currently just over the 1500. I have two 27" monitors with the gaming one supporting 1440p. I probably need about 5-6 USB ports. I don't know if I need to support more case fans and have that included or if I should even try to go down to a micro tower. I just worry a micro tower won't sustain the stupid size of video cards these days.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

If the WiFi card that you have matches the speed of your home router then it is a perfectly fine choice. The kind built into a motherboard won't be any better. If you've recently got a new router with a faster wireless speed than the card, then a new motherboard based WiFi would be best. You'll just have to look up the model number of the card and see what version it supports.

• Claiger
    Options

This is the card I have, which I bought August 2020. Wildly I spent $110 on it, but the mobo I have selected is $220 with wifi 6 and DDR5 compatible.

ASUS PCE-AC88 Dual-Band 4x4 AC3100

Worst case I can try to remove the old card and reuse it on the new computer if the wifi is insufficient.

In addition, is there a way to diagnose which part might be causing my reboot issue? I'd like to give away or resell my used parts for discount after I get the new build.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

That card will run circles around any motherboard WiFi.

Since you want to buy a new PC anyway, buy the new power supply right away and use it in the current PC. If the random shutdown stops, you know the old PSU is the culprit. Otherwise it's kinda hard to diagnose.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99