Liquid cooling for ~$1k SFF

Options
Looking to start a small form factor build to replace my Dell XPS 8940 with a 2060 and i7. I'd like to keep if around $1k and be decently portable if I want to travel with the PC. Is liquid cooling a bad option for something like this since it will potentially be mobile? I've never done a build before so not sure about the reliability of the liquid cooling components especially when it comes to moving the computer around.

Thanks!

Answers

• Shoan041
    Shoan041 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    Options

Hi,

do you already have some of the parts or are you looking to build the entire computer?

• zook79
    Options
    I have some leftover parts but I think the only thing I have that I might use is an AIO cooler (https://www.microcenter.com/support/622322/corsair-hydro-series-h115i-pro-280mm-rgb-water-cooling-kit-(refurbished)) and a 750w EVGA power supply. 

I got the cooler for free and honestly it's the only reason I'm considering water cooling.

Basic build specs I'm leaning towards are here:
    https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=14703343-1652-4f74-a14e-0ed28e8883ab

Only difference is if I went liquid cooled, I'd probably go 12600k and try to save some money with a second hand or open box case, gpu, or mobo.

• Shoan041
    Shoan041 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That is a good cooler and Power supply for your build. How old is the Power supply though?

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2023
    Options

Travel as in stick it in your car trunk or travel as in checked luggage?

For in the trunk, liquid cooling with an AIO works fine, custom loop with soft tubing is probably OK, hard tubing is no way.

For in checked luggage, just leave it on the front porch so someone can steal it instead.

PS - that case in the build link doesn't fit a 280mm radiator according to the listed specs. Have a look at the Hyte Revolt 3 Mini, which does support a 280mm radiator and has a handle for easy carrying.

• zook79
    Options
    @Shoan041 EVGA PS is from 2016 and is still powering a different build (https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-110-b1-0750-vr-750w/p/N82E16817438025R)

@magarity I do mean car trunk travel. I can't imagine going anywhere on a plane that I'd need my PC, but having lost some checked bags in the past, I don't think I'd ever want to travel with the PC that way. Also, thanks for the heads up on the case, not sure how I missed that. The Hyte looks sweet and I like them as a company, so great suggestion. 

Another question I had was about liquid cooling the GPU. I'm pretty sure the AIO I have is fairly oversized for the 12600K, and I'm wondering if it would be worth the trouble to build a custom loop for the CPU and GPU, even if I'm not doing any serious overclocking on either. I'm wondering if there would be noise differences between a stock GPU cooler and the liquid cooling setup, or if it would just be a waste of time (besides looking cool). Being fairly quiet is one of my goals for the build. 

Thanks both for the insight so far!
  • magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

The ultra small cases have no space for custom loop unless you really know what you're doing and are willing to modify extensively. that hyte just barely has room for an aio. to fit a custom loop, you'd basically make a custom loop that looked like an aio. and a single 280mm probably isn't enough for both cpu and gpu. for custom loop you should consider a bigger case, something like a Corsair 280x or LianLi O11 Mini

• Shoan041
    Shoan041 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would consider getting a new power supply for your build. It is getting a bit older. They don't last forever.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99