B550M-A Prime AC PS AMD AM4 microATX

Crucial 16GB (8*2) DD4-3200 PC4-25600

Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Type C Mid-Tower

EVGA-SuperNOVA 850 GT 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX

ASUS RTX 3070 Dual-Fan 8GB

970 EVO 1TB

Lian Li 240mm water cooling kit

Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit

Building my first gaming PC. The current motherboard I have chosen is a recommendation from my boyfriend. He has an o11 air mini case while mine is a mid-tower, so I'm looking for an ATX motherboard that's possibly cheaper since mATX motherboards can be pricier. Thanks for the help in advance!

Best Answer

Answers

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

When the 5600X first came out it was the best price/performance deal but now that the non-X variant is available, it has taken that spot. Only get the 'X' if you are on a mission to overclock. If you're happy with the regular 'boost' speeds then save yourself a few $$ and get the non-X.

So, about that motherboard, ASUS is an excellent brand but the 'Prime' series are their rock bottom. Are you on a strict budget that you need a 129.99 motherboard? Switching to the non-X will let you get something at least a little better. Also, the 5600 both X and non-X are 65Watt chips, and do not need a 240 AIO. Although an AIO of course has a bigger wow factor, you can save a lot if you get a decent tower cooler like a beQuiet 3 for half the price. This is another way to also route budget towards a better motherboard.

• gtp_292
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I am looking to keep the build under $2.1k if possible, but have a little wiggle room to increase this if necessary. 
  • gtp_292
    Options
    I also need wifi supportability from the motherboard because I don’t have good Ethernet connections in my home, so what’s a better motherboard?
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99