Powerspec G440 stuck in Preparing automatic repair, On boot up

Options

Was working fine I added second ssd months ago as the boot drive. has been working fine. All of a sudden bam stuck in loop. Set bios to restore default settings. Was able to go to trouble shoot and reload a restore point. Windows 11 booted all was fine till next shut down now stuck in repair loop again, I can successfully reload a restore point but still boots in Preparing automatic repair. Not sure what to do desktop 3 months old. Is this a hardware issue or windows issue. I am not sure reloading windows will solve it. After successful reboot and restore got it to boot in windows fine. How to determine if hardware issue? I can get in bios all seems fine.

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2023
    Options

@Midblues

Could go either way, I'd rule out software first. Once you're back into it, go here: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

Choose the "Download window disk image ISO" option. Download the file, double click to mount it and the setup.exe. Follow the installation prompts, make sure its set to keep files. This is basically a repair install, it'll replace the OS and keep your files in tact. If this succeeds, we'll see if the problem persists.

I'll add this sounds like software, it's consistent. Works after the restore, sounds like something is modifying your startup and causing an issue. Something that updates after the system restore. Possible it's a windows update, could be an AV update. Lots of possibilities.

• Midblues
    Options

Thank you for the response I believe I figured it out not sure but for some reason i believe the bios was booting to the second ssd which was the bootable drive since it was the first original drive. Which I formatted and set up as second drive and never moved physically, because I setup faster drive in bios for the boot drive on the ssd port number 4 ( just dont want to physically move drives) , so after resetting bios to defaults i noticed it was set to boot to original drive which no longer had windows on it. I set to boot from ssd PCIe 4 port first and all seems to be working fine several boot ups later all good. So now I think I have to figure out how to remove the original drive boot sector, so this doesn't happen again. I use it for data only anyhow. I did format drive when setting up for data only but not sure it removed boot sector of the drive, not sure how to tell if it is still there and dont think a regular format will remove boot portion.

Still not sure why it changed in bios but seems solid again maybe a power blip or something.

Thanks for the response. good to know I can get a reply for a question from Powerspec, I am very impressed with powerspec pc nice solod computer.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2023
    Options

@Midblues

Windows + R and type: msconfig

Go to the boot tab, you can set your default OS to boot to there.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99