Newbie here! Need help choosing a few parts + thoughts on chosen parts?

Options

Hello!

I visited a MicroCenter store some weeks back and they helped me outline a good build that would work for me, but going over it, it does look like some parts are sold out, and I need help figuring out what would work best to replace those.

I've included images of the build at the bottom.

My budget is ~3k. I'd prefer not to hit if possible. The original estimate was ~2.2k pre-tax. The most intensive thing I intend to do is video editing, but I don't really play video games. I also do some photo editing and tend to have a lot of browser tabs open at once. (My current Surface Book 2 can handle the browser tabs pretty well, but video editing can be pretty laggy. I currently use Sony Vegas Pro 15, but I'd also like to be able to use more intensive video software like Adobe Premier/AE, which I can't currently do.)

Ideally, I'd like to find in-stock replacements for the missing parts that are roughly-as-good-as or better-but-still-compatible (though I understand if this isn't possible), but I'm also willing to discuss the other parts if anyone has any opinions. I'm fairly new to this. Not completely clueless but certainly not knowledgeable enough to actually know what I'm doing here lol. I'd prefer to stick with the Ryzen processor, and I do already have the WD SSD, so I can't swap that out.

Ultimately everything (except the SSD) is up for discussion, since I'd be really interested in learning more and hearing different viewpoints.

Thank you!

Comments

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

The 7950X is almost certainly quite some overkill. You can save $200 or more by getting the 7700X instead.

Note that neither comes with a cooler. so you need to pick one. Something like beQuiet 3 or 4, or some kind of AIO liquid cooler, as you prefer.

Do you already have an m.2 SSD you intend to recycle into this system? I don't see any storage listed.

The 3060 is probably a really good choice for video editing but you can double check with a forum dedicated to the software you intend to use.

• pentodel
    Options

@magarity

Thank you! I'll look into the processor. I'm not sure how much overkill it is, but I definitely have a habit of trying to run multiple major programs at the same time, so I might be willing to spend $200 for the peace of mind.

Do you have any recommendations for the water cooler? The person I spoke to said I should definitely get a liquid cooler vs an air one, so I'm looking into those. The only one that looks like it's in stock, though, is this: Lian Li Galahad 360mm RGB Water Cooling Kit. I'd assume that's a close enough equivalent because they're both 360mm, but I'm not sure...

The m.2 SSD is at the bottom of the screenshots. I pasted it out of order, but I do have one already! It's this: WD Black SN850X 2TB 112L 3D TLC NAND Flash PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe M.2 Internal SSD with Heatsink.

The 3060 is sold out, so I was looking for replacement recommendations, but I hadn't thought to look at software specific forums! Thank you for bringing that up! If you do know of one that's roughly equivalent though, I would still be interested, in case they all point me at the same sold out 3060 ahaha

Thank you for your help and your comment!

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

Any 3060 will do nicely, MC carries 13 different models in the 12GB version so there must be at least one of them in stock where you are? There are 8 where I am.

That LianLi cooler has a good reputation

• pentodel
    Options

@magarity

Sorry for the late reply, I had to get back to work, but thank you so much for your follow up! There are indeed multiple 3060s here--it's great to hear they should be good. I'll look into which one works best for my purposes. Thank you also for confirming about the cooler! I'll have to sort out the power supply still, but if I do downgrade the processor, maybe the power supply that I need would change as well... Much appreciated!

• pentodel
    Options

@magarity

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I was looking at the Asus ones earlier. The triple fan isn't available, but the dual fan is, which was my top pick, so I'm glad to hear it should work! I don't think my local store has the EVGA one, but it does have some Corsair ones in stock!

All of your help is very much appreciated!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99