PowerSpec G439 BIOS Update

Options
PowerSpec_MikeW
PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Greetings,

This BIOS adjusts the fan curves for this system. As well as providing our customized version of the latest 7D25v1A for this board. Option 1 covers the BIOS update. Option 2 provides instructions on adjusting the fan settings without flashing your BIOS. This BIOS is an optional update.

WARNING: This BIOS is for our PowerSpec G439. Do not install this BIOS any other model.

Option 1 (G439 Only):

1. Download custom BIOS E7D25IZ1.zip from the top of this post. Extract the file and copy it to a flash drive.
  2. Turn on your PC and tap "Delete" to enter the BIOS.
  3. Once in the BIOS, we must enter the Advanced Flash Mode to flash our custom BIOS. Press Control + Alt + T and click "Yes".
  4. This is the advanced flash mode. Do not use any other BIOS besides the BIOS listed here in this mode. Doing so may result in a bricked motherboard.
  5. Select your flash drive on the left column, then select the E7D25IZ1.1M9 file on the right. Confirm that you want to flash the BIOS, this process may take several minutes.

Option 2:

1. Turn on or restart your PC and tap "Delete" to enter the BIOS.
  2. Select "Hardware Monitor". If this is not visible, press F7 to enter Advanced Mode.
  3. Select the System Fan and switch the mode to PWM. It's most likely System Fan 0 but this can change in production or by model. Once you switch the fan to PWM, you should notice an immediate fan RPM drop. We do not recommend changing the PUMP or CPU fan curves here. Once you've finished, press F10 to save and exit.

Comments

• LKiewra
    Options

I recently purchased the G439 (April/2023). Going through updating drivers, I question updating BIOS.... my Version showing at: E7D25IZ1.1M3

1) the MSI website for the MB lists several BIOS updates with many fixes...

2) I also downloaded the E7D25IZ1.1M9 from this page.

I really don't want to update a wrong version and screw up my new system!

But there must be a version that is "up-to-date" ??

some of the updates Descriptions:

- Update CPU Microcode.

- Update M-Flash hotkey rule.

- Modify Secure Boot setting.

- Improve memory compatibility.

- Support exFAT file system.

- Enhanced memory compatibility.

- Improve PCIE storage compatibility.

.....ert etc... etc.... they sound like they need to be updated!?!?!?

Thanks

--- a bit confused

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@LKiewra

The customized BIOS Is based on 7D25v1A from 1/11/2023. Here are the improvements on the latest BIOS 7D25v1B:

- Update CPU Microcode. - This is the latest microcode for the Intel CPU's. I haven't seen any significant performance increases on this BIOS.

- Update M-Flash hotkey rule. - They're not specific, but this is their flash utility. You won't have any issue updating to 1M9.

- Modify Secure Boot setting. - MSI was setting image execution policy to allow execution of fixed and removable media. This is something we already change in our custom BIOS.

- Improve memory compatibility - This would be relevant if you were having a problem with a certain memory kit or were trying to improve your overclocking results. Your system memory is fully tested and qualified on the 1M9 BIOS.

We review the BIOS' frequently and we'll work on qualifying a new BIOS if it offer significant performance increases or support for newer hardware. If there is any critical issue with a BIOS, we'll push that out through Windows Update as an automatic update. This is just an optional update to help with the fan noise if you're having an issue.

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

To add to what @PowerSpec_MikeW mentioned, we also advise against updating the BIOS if the system is functioning perfectly fine and all of your installed hardware is compatible. BIOS updates can just as easily break compatibility or introduce instability, especially when it comes to memory.

Unless you absolutely need a BIOS update to address a flaw or provide compatibility to a device you are intending to install, I would recommend just sticking with the current version.

• LKiewra
    Options

only issues I’m aware of, is the GPU card (w/3 fans) are not spinning at all, the MSI Center app (or maybe was FireStorm app!) I forgot, not at home… only shows 2 fans in app, and my iCue app shows only 2 fans at 0 RPM… which helped me search this original post.

I'm guessing, since I really haven’t overheated the GPU, they just haven’t turned on yet!

maybe they will when it gets hotter! Lol 😂 otherwise the case fans are keeping temperatures low enough.

if windows update updates my bios, I’ll leave it at that!!

I’m old school DOS from the 70’s… I always hated upgrading Bios! 😆 backup /restore sooo many times!

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@LKiewra

Correct, the fans usually don't kick on until the GPU hits 60C. You should be running around 40C in the OS. You won't see them kick on often. As for why it's only showing two fans on the GPU in the software, I'd have to check the card bust most likely two of the fans, the front and rear are daisy chained to the same header for control.

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The fans not spinning is normal. They only spin once your GPU reaches a certain temperature threshold (normally 50C-60C). As for the MSI Center application, it does not show individual fans but rather occupied fan headers. If the fans are daisy chained together, the software reads it as a single header, despite being capable of adjusting multiple fans at once. We use a fan/RGB controller PCB in our chassis which is then plugged into a single fan header. That single header will control the PWM of all connected fans on the controller. The other occupied fan is going to be from the fans on the CPU cooler, which are also daisy chained into a single CPU fan header.

If you do discover that you are having thermal issues after testing, let us know. We will gladly help address any issues you encounter with your G439.

• LKiewra
    Options
    All good so far! Just by habit, keeping my system up to date!  Thanks for the quickness on the reply’s, I appreciate your expertise to rest my weary old school habits! 😝 
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Happy to help. Thank you for being a PowerSpec customer! Our team is active on this forum so if you encounter any weird issues at all, feel free to reach out.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99