Should I buy a new pc, or can I change out my power supply?

Options

Essentially, I want to game without crashing constantly (specifically Fortnite :P). I have integrated graphics, and I want to get a graphics card to hopefully fix this problem. However, I believe that my power supply is only 180w, which SUCKS for gaming (I think). And I know that Intel really sucks with the wiring and stuff for the power supply. So is it possible to change out my power supply for something that would be more compatible with a decent graphics card? How might I do this? Is it better to have a service do it for me or is it easy enough that I could do it myself? Let me know if you need more information.

Build:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2.904 GHz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s) Processor

System Model HP ENVY TE01-1xxx

Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000

Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)

Total Virtual Memory 21.9 GB

Available Virtual Memory 3.16 GB

Page File Space 10.0 GB

BaseBoard Manufacturer HP

BaseBoard Product 8767

BaseBoard Version A (SMVB)

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Answers

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    edited March 2023
    Options

Well, your particular power supply isn't because " Intel really sucks with the wiring and stuff" but because HP calculates to the watt exactly what is needed for the system as it is when it is sold, and not a watt more. So you get these strangely low capacity PSUs like 180W. Also, HP uses a proprietary power connector to the motherboard which means you can't buy a standard ATX power supply. Again, this is HP, not Intel.

You seem to have a decent system so if I were you I'd contact HP support and give them the exact model number of your Envy and ask them about power supply upgrades. Ask especially about upgrades that come with standard 8 pin PCIe supplemental power connections because that's what graphics cards need. I googled for Envy TE01 and I can find 500W power supplies on eBay but you should still contact HP and get the exact power supply model number(s) your 1xxx version takes. Once you do that, we can help you pick out a graphics card. If they give you several power supply options and you aren't sure what to get, report back for help on that too.

• Cascade
    Options

Gotcha, so I'll contact them, and later respond to this post about my specific graphics card

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    In the meantime you can check how much memory is allocated to integrated graphics. If it is less than 2GB (2048MB) increase it. Here are some instructions I found for HP Envy https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-ENVY-x360-VRAM/td-p/7557975
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99