PowerSpec B749 and audio codec not found

Options

My months old PowerSpec B-749 computer has amateur radio software loaded and had been working well. the software requires the USB Codec driver or software to be the way the external soundcard handles the digital signals. Yesterday the software quit working and I immediately looked in the software configuration for the entries of the USB codec, but it was not present. I have not altered any softeareor processes , tasks, etc. on the computer. The codec was just gone. I am at a loss to explain what happened. I forgot to mention that the OS is Windows 11, 16GB of memory, 1TB of solid state hard drive and a 4TB hard drive installed. Could someone tell me from whom I should find or where and what to look for in reguards to the codecs? I'll be happy to answer any questions that you may have because I spend my time using my HF radios and control them via software. I hope that I have given enough information. Thanks in advance!

Michael

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@Michaelk5mfp

This is going to be a driver from the manufacturer of the external sound card you mentioned. We'd like to know the name of the radio software. The brand and model of the audio interface you're using. Is it just USB, or it a USB to serial interface?

• Michaelk5mfp
    Options

Thanks for the reply. The HF radio software is called WSJT-X and it is a weak signal software that enables the Signalink sound card (external sound card) to interpet the radio signal that is usually under 10 watts of RF power, The weak signal can travel across the globe, enabling 2 operators to communicate at low power. The Signalink hardware has no software or drivers that comes with it or is available for download. The WAJT-X software depends on audio codecs supplied by the operating software or computer, which, I do not know. When everything was working, the WSJT-X software would see the audio codecs and load them, enabling the hardware/software to perform as intended.

The interface is just a USB connection to the Signalink soundcard hardware. Something apparently happened to the existing driver codecs. I'm at a loss for ideas.It's a driver from somewhere, but where to retrieve the driver codec to re-enable the hardware/software to work. The hardware is a SignalinkUSB unit made by Tigertronics, but they donot supply any software.

Thanks.

Michael

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Michaelk5mfp

Thanks, looked it up. Appears it's a generic USB Audio Device/USB Audio Codec driver that's been in box for Windows since 98 SE. So we need to figure out what happened to it. Open Device Manager, expand Sound, Video and Game Controllers. Lets see what you have, I'd assume it'd be under there. It's an audio output device.

• Michaelk5mfp
    Options

hi Mike,

I solved the problem. I found an obscure solution baout the codec. It didn't get destroyed or anything like that, the codec was just waiting for me to initiate it. Thearticle said that sometimes you need to plug the Signalink into a different usb port. I did that and everything is up and working . The WSJT-X software now sees the codec and its off and running. Thanks for your help, I learned something today, I just hope I remember it the next time this hsppens! I like this forum. Thanks!

Michael

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Michaelk5mfp

Makes sense, USB device just wasn't being detected or maybe it threw an error in device manager. Reseating the cable would of fixed that.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99