What is SilentUtility?

Options

Hello! I bought a PowerSpec B-789 several months ago, and from the first day of use, I get a error message about 'SilentUtility' . SilentUtility is an application in the System32 directory of Windows on the C drive. Every time I shut the computer down, The error message is the following: SilentUtility - Setting file is wrong. please reinstall program! , then there is a button with OK inside. This is the last thing that is on the screen, and then the computer is off.

What does it do, is it important, and how do I resolve this error message? I just like a tidy computer and this annoys me. Is ther anyone that could help? I would be very grateful if this could be explained and corrected. Thanks!

Michael

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@Michaelk5mfp

It's a utility from Magic Control Technology Corp. It's part of a software package for USB to Video adapters. On the login screen, don't login. Hold the "Shift" key, click power and restart. From there:

1. Troubleshoot
    2. Advanced
    3. Startup Settings
    4. 4
    5. Going into installed apps or if you can't access that appwiz.cpl , find this program and uninstall it.
  • Michaelk5mfp
    Options

Thank you for the information. I renamed it and rebooted several times, and the error message doesn't appear anymore. Problem solved! Thanks again, Mike.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99