What to do if you get home and custom build doesn't work?

Options

I picked up a custom build from the Westmont location a few hours ago. After getting home, the PC is not functioning--I repeatedly get a BSOD within about 5 minutes of being in Windows. What are my next steps to get this fixed? I live two hours away from the nearest store (the Westmont store).

Answers

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    The bsod will have a stop code, please write that down and report what it is.
  • oldgrinder
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I’ve seen quite a few different messages.

At first it was IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL.

Then MEMORY MANAGEMENT ERROR or SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 

And most recently, it’s been something about Kernal Mode Heap Corruption.
  • oldgrinder
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I suspect this has something to do with the fact that my C drive only had about 2 GB storage left (48/50 used). 1 TB open on the D drive—SSD.

I’m fairly clueless when it comes to how computers are built and set up, so apologies if this is way off the mark.
  • magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    edited March 2023
    Options

They usually give a code like 0x000123456 which is the way to look those up. By googling the three names, which is less precise, it appears to be all software issues, and not some problem with the actual computer parts.

Step 1: get into the system BIOS and check that the XMP profile was set because that one about MEMORY MANAGEMENT ERROR might be due to improperly set XMP. If you need help with this, it will depend on what exactly the brand and model of motherboard. Since it is brand new, you should call MC and get help over the phone. If these are indeed all software related, you should be able to fix it with a phone call with a tech person at MC.

If it happens again please write down the exact stop code number.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99