Adding additional hdd to a PowerSpec G513?

Options

Recently we got a G513. We have a hard drive (full size) and I haven't got a clue on where to mount it in the case. There does not seem to be a space in the case that 3.5 inch drive would be appropriate. There's no space between the video card and the bottom fans, nor is there a section at the bottom of the case like the the Lian Li 205 has. In fact I cannot figure out which Lian Li it is because nothing at the their website matches the configuration of this case (referring to the ports on top and the glass side going all the way to the bottom of the case).

There's a bunch of holes in the top metal frame of the case [I'm gathering to add fans] and I'm wondering if there's some drive cage that has vertical mount holes. If I had a 3d printer I'd try and make something that way...

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@Drahnyn

There's no space internally for a 3.5" drive without modifying the chassis. Would throwing the drive in a 3.5" USB 3.0 enclosure work for you?

• Drahnyn
    Drahnyn
    First Comment
    edited April 2023
    Options

Is there a space for a 2.5" ssd?

Edit: A 3.5" USB 3.0 enclosure *might* work for me depending on the transfer speed of the drive externally.

FWIW: We actually went into the PA store fully happy with our choice of the MSI Creator P50 12TH-093US Slim Gaming PC. The salesman explained that there really wasn't any room in the P50 for expansion but the G513 excelled in that area. Now the reason we took home the G513 is irrelevant because the one thing that we *NEED* in it cannot fit.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    edited April 2023
    Options

@Drahnyn

SATA III will do about 750MB/s max. USB 3.0 will do 625MB/s max. A 3.5" 7200 RPM drive is likely to max out at less than 200MB/s. So whether it's connected via SATA or a USB 3.0 enclosure the drive should be the performance limitation, not the interface.

I apologize any confusion with the expandability. You can add a second M.2 drive, NVME or SATA. There's a slot on the bottom right of the board. The NVME drive would be much faster, it's an x2 Gen3 slot, but you can still get a low costs NVME drive that'll do around 2000MB/s compared to 200MB/s on the 3.5" drive or 750MB/s on a SATA III 2.5" SSD.

I'll add regarding the expandability for this chassis. The main thing here is GPU space. Depending on the power supply you can fit at least an 8.75" card, and up to a 10.5" card. That, two unpopulated DIMM slots and the 650W power supply will give you some good, relatively easy upgrade options down the road.

• Drahnyn
    Drahnyn
    First Comment
    edited April 2023
    Options

When you said "Would throwing the drive in a 3.5" USB 3.0 enclosure work for you?" it sounds like you might be offering me one...

Come the holidays we hope to get a 4gb nvme at a significantly discounted price, otherwise they're 1/4 to 1/2 the price of the whole computer.

Edit: Also, can you share exactly which Lian Li case my G513 is in?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Drahnyn

Just offering an option for you. Enclosures are generally around $20.

The chassis is a Lian Li 185M. We carry a version on our site that's close to the PowerSpec version, the chassis is a Micro Center exclusive from Lian Li.

• Drahnyn
    Options

It seems that the 185M is also the SAMA IM01. I'd post a link to the manual but this website won't let me (You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links.) I found the manual IM01 manual at ia903408.us.archive.org

On page 15 of the manual it shows a ssd/hdd bracket for the top of the case.

Do you folks sell this bracket?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Drahnyn

I believe that backet actually mounts on the side panel, it'll support 3.5" drives or 120mm fans. This case was redesigned for us, and that bracket isn't there anymore. That was removed for a glass side panel. I don't think you're going to get a 3.5" drive in it. Let me look at it Monday and see if there are some spots for 2.5" drives that weren't provided in the product specifications.

• Drahnyn
    Options

On page fifteen of the SAMA IM01 manual clearly shows mounting bracket that is to be mounted at the top [but it also mountable on the bottom of the case, too].

It is on page sixteen that the manual refers to and shows the "left fan bracket"

Since I still cannot post a link, here is an image of the url with the manual.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Drahnyn

The chassis may have been based on the same model, but it was modified heavily for the Micro Center and the PowerSpec versions. On the PowerSpec Lian Li 185M I was able to mount a 3.5" drive in the top inverted with standard HDD mounting screws.

• Drahnyn
    Options

That's the mount I need :D

Does Micro Center sell it?

Just for the sake of asking.... Is it safe to install a disc drive upside down?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Drahnyn

This is already on the case, just pull the top panel off. Shouldn't have any fit issues with the ASRock B550M-C on the G513. No issue with mounting a disk upside down. Just need 4 HDD screws to secure it.

• Drahnyn
    Options

Unbelievable. I had no idea this was already in the case - I was only in there once and didn't even realize the top popped off.

Thanks for the help :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99