Need review - My Ryzen 9 7950X3D build

Darth_Blackcat
edited April 2023 in Help Choosing Parts

Need a review of the below build to optimize it further if needed.

I primarily game at 4K with a Samsung Neo Odyssey G7 with HDR at 165hz and a second 4K Asus monitor for viewing (YouTube, Web browsing, Video editing). I also do a lot of video editing hence the extra cores.

Some ideas of general games I play - World of Warships, War Thunder, World of Warcraft, SWTOR,

List of some more demanding titles - Cyberpunk 2077 RT Overdrive, Hogwarts Legacy

Productivity titles: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier

[Configure Your PC: https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=55da042b-e3eb-4f28-a677-a2ebfd0412ea

CPU: (1) AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D Raphael AM5 4.2GHz 16-Core Boxed Processor - Heatsink Not Included ($699.99 EACH)

Motherboard: (1) Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER AMD AM5 eATX Motherboard ($489.99 EACH)

RAM: (1) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000 CL30 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR - Black ($299.99 EACH)

Case: (1) Fractal Design Torrent Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case - Black ($279.99 EACH)

Looking to get this case or the Antec Performance 1 FT (not sold at MicroCenter from what I can tell). Still undecided. Depending on the case determines what AIO I can place in.

Power Supply: (1) Corsair RMx SHIFT Series RM1000x 1000 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($209.99 EACH)

Video Card: (1) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Ventus 3X Overclocked Triple Fan 16GB GDDR6X PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card ($1,279.99 EACH)

Already have this card purchased from MicroCenter earlier this year but listing here for reference as I will carry the card over to the new rig.

2.5" SSD: (1) WD Blue 4TB SSD 3D NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive ($325.99 EACH)

Video temp storage drive before moving to archive

M.2 / NVMe SSD: (1) WD Black SN850X 2TB 112L 3D TLC NAND Flash PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe M.2 Internal SSD ($159.99 EACH)

This is the primary OS drive

M.2 / NVMe SSD: (1) WD Black SN850X 4TB 112L 3D TLC NAND Flash PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe M.2 Internal SSD ($359.99 EACH)

Gaming drive

M.2 / NVMe SSD: (1) WD Black SN850X 2TB 112L 3D TLC NAND Flash PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe M.2 Internal SSD ($159.99 EACH)

Video Editing drive

Total: $4,265.90

Generated by Micro Center https://www.microcenter.com (4/16/2023 3:42:53 PM)

Comments

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer

You have three m.2 drives listed, have you a place to plug those in? the motherboard only has place for two.

Do not get the "Shift" power supply unless you are absolutely certain the case you are going to get has sufficient rear panel clearance.

• Darth_Blackcat
    edited April 2023

Are you sure Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER AMD AM5 eATX Motherboard only has two M2 slots? Per the manufacturer, this board has four.

Update: You are correct it has 1 x 5.0 M2 and 1 x 4.0/3.0 M2. Wish MicroCenter builder would catch these things. With that said any other recommendation for a different board with more M2 or just getting a PCI card to add more M2? The main reason for Gigabyte was the reviews listed fewer issues with DDR5 memory and out-of-the-box configuration problems other 670 boards experienced.

Any other ATX 3.0 PSU would be recommended outside of the Shift?

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭

I have a pair of m.2 SSD and a SATA SSD and it doesn't make any noticeable difference when playing a game. So you can do something with a PCIe add on card that takes m.2 and deal with whether that even fits after you put in the graphics card (or more likely, blocks the graphics card's fans) or just get a decent sized SATA to install games to. Or even better, just install Windows on the 4TB drive and also use it for games, and never mind getting the 2TB m.2 in the first place.

Corsair's RMx series are excellent power supplies. I actually got the Shift 1000 last weekend and it's working great. I have it in a Corsair 5000D case which has about an inch and a half of space between the back panel and the rear of the mb tray. Like I said, you just need to check the case ahead of time before you get the Shift or else there isn't room to bend the cables around. If the case doesn't have enough side space just get the regular RMx.

• Darth_Blackcat
    edited April 2023

Looks like the X670E Aorus Master does support four M4 slots.

Just to add the M2 while used for gaming is also used for video editing.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭

OK well I was just going by their own website's specs page. Maybe I'm reading it wrong or looked at the wrong model board.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99