How to connect my desktops in another room to my 2 display port monitors and all my other I/O.

Options

I'm looking into putting my 2 desktops into my server rack and then run as few cables as possible to my 2 desks, one about 15ft away and another about 50ft away. My first initial plan is to use a thunderbolt 4 hub for each computer and run a thunderbolt 4 cable to both desks. I'm wanting to make sure I can run 2 monitors in "extend display" while making sure the video goes through my RTX 2080 Founder's edition cards. I will be upgrading both CPUS to the AM5 platform. How would I best do that with either a motherboard with Thunderbolt natively (EX: ProArt X670E-CREATOR WIFI) , or another way besides Thunderbolt?

My budget is $1500 per pc (only replacing the CPU, motherboard, and adding any expansion cards or others as needed).

Best Answer

• NovaKnights
    Answer ✓
    Options
    That was the goal as I was wanting to have my 2 computers, NAS, networking equipment and all my other homelab stuff in my server rack. Upon further inspection it looks like proart x670e will be the best option and use its 2 thunderbolt ports, 1 for my monitors and the other for all my other i/o.

Answers

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

If this is for games did you consider running cat6 networking cables and use Steam remote play on a basic PC?

• NovaKnights
    Options

It's for more than just playing games. One of the computers is used for streaming and playing games . The other is used for other basic workstation tasks along with alot of non-steam games (ex: blizzard games, epic games, and other various games not on the steam launcher)

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@NovaKnights

Looks like the board has a DP IN for the USB4 and includes the cable to connect your GPU to your USB4. Problem is, even the longest active USB4 cable is just under 10 feet. You could do a KVM extender with dual monitor support, but you're adding some functionality you don't need. Personally, I'd just buy the DP and USB cables, along with a pack of cable clips to keep the cable bundle relatively clean. Keep in mind at 50 feet, your DP resolution may be limited.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

Is the goal to put the PCs in that location or is that an attempt to solve some other problem such as noise from the case fans, etc? Because this does come up from time to time, people wanting the box part of their PC far away from where they sit to use it, and all the solutions pretty much are really sucky. You can try to do it but my caution is that you'll probably be unhappy with whatever you get worked out.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99