Computer Boot Problem

Options

My new build will only post with one stick of ram and only in slot two. If I put in the second stick the computer will not boot. If I put the module in any other slot I get no activity. I have tried a different brand of ram and get the same results.

ASUS B650E-F (I even updated to the most recent bios)

Ryzen 9 7900X

Gskill 32Gb 2X D5 6000

Corsair 32 GB 5600

Any of the ram modules will work in slot two. Post is quick and I can get into Bios to change memory timing. I reseated the CPU but that didn't help. My error LED (yellow ) is constant with two sticks. With one module the LED is only on for a few seconds.

Any thoughts or suggestions or do you think I have a flaky motherboard?

Purchase date April 4, 2023

Jim

Comments

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options

Greetings,

To verify it doesn't boot with a single stick of RAM outside of just one slot? This also happens with both sticks of RAM being used one at a time?

• oldbuilder
    Options

Only boots with one stick of ram and only in slot two.

One Stick of Ram

Slot 1 = NO

Slot 2 = Yes

Slot 3 = No

Slot 4 = No

Two Sticks of Ram

Slots 2 & 4 = No

Slots 1 & 3 = No

• Vaganza
    Vaganza ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls 5 LOLs
    Options

Assuming you have tried placing the other stick of memory in the slot that appears to work in order to test the module. Keep in mind that after changing slot configurations on the board with DDR5 memory, it could take a little while for it to complete it's initial post test, changing the location in the board will trigger a new ram test during post. It is possible you have a bad slot in the board.

• oldbuilder
    Options

In all the failed configurations I waited several minutes to see it I could get a successful post. I'm pretty sure I have a bad memory controller at this point. Perhaps it's time to try a different MB. I'll try calling Customer Support for advice. I hate having to return the board as my nearest Microcenter is 75 miles away. The other alternative site is 100 miles away. 😅 Fortunately my build last fall went without a hitch.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@oldbuilder

Sounds like you've tried multiple sticks in each slot and only 2 works. This means the other three slots are defective. Could be a bad IMC like you said, more likely to be a defective motherboard. I'd check the CPU socket for damaged pins.

• oldbuilder
    Options

In all the failed configurations I waited several minutes to see it I could get a successful post. I'm pretty sure I have a bad memory controller at this point. Perhaps it's time to try a different MB. I'll try calling Customer Support for advice. I hate having to return the board as my nearest Microcenter is 75 miles away. The other alternative site is 100 miles away. 😅 Fortunately my build last fall went without a hitch.

• Vaganza
    Vaganza ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls 5 LOLs
    Options

Only because this solved several issues over the weekend for us in the tech shop, are you able to run a BIOS update? And when you can get it posted with one stick do you have your bios settings on the default (no DOCP)

• oldbuilder
    Options

I gave up and installed another motherboard and completed my build. CPU was fine, Memory was fine at 6000. It was the MB that was faulty. Using the new build now. Cloned my old system and all is back to normal (except MS Office for some reason).

I was already past the 20 day return window when I reached out for help. If the socket was bad before, it definitely is now. I see a shiny spot on one area of pins which I may have caused packing up the MB for a return.

Thanks to those who reached out.

Jim

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options

Good to hear it is up and running now, if you do have any other questions for us, please let us know.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99