Home Media+ Set-up

424builder
edited April 2023 in Help Choosing Parts

I'm looking for a home situation where I can have a media, home automation, office, security, and admin server. Plan is to run all though docker containers and ProxmoxVM's with Ubuntu probably.

I do want to start with 8TB raid 1 storage, and have expansion slots available for more HDs over time.

Speed and snappy performance are high priorities since family members and friends will be utilizing as well. It will be placed in a closet with some ventilation, but 80-95 degrees temp is possible. Lights and aesthetics does not matter. Budget is < $2,000

• Media would be playing via Jellyfin and downloading, along with a photo manager (Photoprism/Immich/Nextcloud Photo style)
  • Home automation is just Home ssistant
  • Office is Nextcloud with online docs editor (Collabra/Open Office style)
  • Security is monitor IP cameras + storage of footage (concerned about the 24/7 utilization)
  • Admin is just a space for administrative stuff like pihole, wireguard, Wordpress sites, and other tools

How’s this looking?

• Intel - Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 3.6GHz Twelve-Core LGA 1700 Boxed Processor - Heatsink Not Included
  • ASUS - Z690-P Prime WiFi DDR5 Intel LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard
  • Corsair - Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL18 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit CMK64GX4M2D3600 - Black
  • NZXT - H7 Flow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Computer Case - Black
  • Corsair - RMx Series RM850x 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply
  • Intel - Arc A750 Limited Edition Dual Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card
  • Samsung - 870 EVO 2TB SSD 3-bit MLC V-NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive
  • 2X Seagate - Ironwolf 8TB 7200 RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal NAS CMR Hard Drive
  • be quiet - DARK ROCK PRO 4 CPU Cooler
  • Lian Li - UNI Fan SL Infinity Fluid Dynamic Bearing 120mm Case Fan - 3 Pack Black

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=a619cc1d-ea39-4add-b792-3ffdc2401a92

Comments

• Ian
    Ian admin
    5 Insightfuls 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 LOLs

Greetings,

Based on your description, everything looks good to me, I'm not seeing much on your list that is going to need a GPU with that kind of video memory, but if you do plan on doing any sort of video editing/gaming that would be a good idea to have.

• As long as all of your media encoding can be done through AV1, the Arc card would be ideal. Anything H.264 may be better off sticking with Nvidia so that you have overall better software support if that card is ever relegated to do other tasks. But outside of that change, everything looks good to me!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99