Upgrading my PC

Options

I plan on upgrading my PC currently I have an Asus 3060ti OC edition GPU, i7-8700k, some ASRock motherboard that I can't remember the name of, and 2 sticks of 8gb DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws V ram.

I plan on keeping my current 750w 80+ Gold PSU, 3060ti, and Case, but I want to upgrade my other components to the newest stuff and swap from intel to amd finally.

[ I can't post a link to my current selected parts because I'm new I'll post it down below when I am able to.]

Above is a link to my build currently, I am looking at a 7800x3d chip and 32gb of DDR5 Ram with a Noctua cooler and paste. I am wondering if the motherboard I selected will be suitable for my build?

Side Note: I have a Raidmax Alpha case here: [I can't post a link to my exact case but I will do it down below when I am able to.]

I don't care about pretty RGBs my case has all of the RGB I could want, I just want components that will put in the work and not break my bank account no RGB required.

Answers

• Scary_Guy
    Options

I support moving to AMD. I got an AsRock X399 Tai Chi, the lowest end Threadripper I could get, two sticks of 16GB DDR4 ECC, and a cooler for $900. Kept everything else and it's been amazing for almost a year now. You could keep the RAM unless you really want DDR5 and save some bucks that way. Also if you're not doing professional gaming or anything like that you can avoid the top of the line and save a few bucks, so that's something to consider as well. If you do want top of the line I'd consider going after that for the last generation of tech which may outperform this generation's current budget offerings.

Also, do keep in mind there are some potential issues with the AM5 chipset that you should absolutely research too. You also didn't mention your board as it's probably in one of those links you can't post yet so I can't comment on that.

Best of luck.

• ModdedTurtles
    Options

I am still unable to show my setup but I want the new 7800x3d which requires an am5 motherboard which means I have to have DDR5 ram don't I?

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

"and not break my bank account"

Please always just state a budget because no one but you knows what's your bank breaking point.

AM5 is DDR5 only, so yes you need new RAM as well.

• ModdedTurtles
    Options

The budget for upgrading is around $1000 that is including a Motherboard, Cooler, Paste, CPU, and Ram.

• ModdedTurtles
    Options

Since I STILL can't post links I will put the names of the items I have chosen so far.

Ryzen 7 7800X3D Raphael AM5 4.2GHz 8-Core Boxed Processor - Heatsink Not Included

X670 AORUS ELITE AX AMD AM5 ATX Motherboard

Ripjaws S5 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-5200 PC5-41600 CL36 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F5-5200J3636C16GX2-RS5K - Black

NH-U12S chromax.black CPU Cooler

NT-H1 High-Performance TIM - 3.5g

I plan to recycle my new 3060ti GPU, My case, my PSU, and my 2tb SSD and 2tb HDD.

• ModdedTurtles
    Options

All of that is on the micro center PC builder for $940 dollars I want to know if I should make any alterations like maybe different ram or different motherboard? I personally want one of the new AM5 x3d chips so that is why I chose the 7800x3d.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You dont need the thermal paste since that cooler will come with some. Otherwise those parts are all correctly compatible.

• ModdedTurtles
    Options

Ok I'll take off the paste, but compatability wasn't my issue my issue was is the motherboard I picked out ok for the games I like to play? Is the ram I selected also ok for the games I like to play? I am CPU bound in a lot of my favorite games those games being SWTOR, Warhammer 40k Darktide, Gmod oddly enough, and probably a few other titles I am forgetting. Will the parts I selected be enough to fix that issue? I'd rather by GPU bound than CPU bound. (I have a 3060ti OC edition )

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is it just coincidence that you've selected the current top gaming CPU of either brand but are asking if it can play games OK? The short answer is yes, 7800X3D is the current best gaming CPU on the market.

G.Skill is a perfectly good brand of memory but "Ripjaw" is their budget line, not the gamer enthusiast line which is called "Trident". The top gaming DDR5 is between G.Skill Trident or Corsair Dominator Platinum or Kingston Fury. Get whichever of those is the best deal when you go to buy it.

Gigabyte has 4 levels of motherboard grades and "Aorus" is their top end grade for enthusiast gamers. Honestly at the $300+ level the motherboards from the main brands, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, are impossible to tell apart for performance. You might google about for how good is the warranty support for each of those three but I haven't had any good or bad experiences to relate as my own mb hasn't had any problems.

• ModdedTurtles
    Options

No no no I know the CPU is fine, I'm mostly wondering about my choice about ram and motherboards. I'll take a look at replacing the ram with some Trident instead of Ripjaws. So you think my motherboard selection is ok though?

• ModdedTurtles
    Options

Ripjaws S5 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-5200 PC5-41600 CL36 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F5-5200J3636C16GX2-RS5K - Black

I chose these because it was only like $98 for 32gb of DDR5 ram which seemed like a super good ass deal, but will they serve me well in my games I wonder..

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got more expensive ddr4 and what i got overclocks reliability. IDK about this theory and ddr5, it seems a whole new beast. I would get either the Trident or Corsair LPX but that's just me.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99