Air cooling my MasPar MP-2204 cabinet

Options

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MasPar Mine is a prototype of this, as it actually has vents on the top and a lid over them. So I've mounted two car radiator fans under the top of it to be used as exhaust (only ones thin enough to fit between that and the cage for the daughterbaords, and I had to cut the housing a bit because they were too wide.) Each are rated for 12v, 80w, 6.67a. I want to stick a speed controller on them (so I can turn them down) and possibly power them off my 1000w PSU. I am looking for suggestions on how to best accomplish this.

Answers

• Shoan041
    Shoan041 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    Options

Hey,

I would first check to see if you're power supply will support that amperage over cord and where it connects. I doubt a normal fan connector on a motherboard will. If it's able to output it, then if you're confident in your soldering and electrical skills, you can look into re wiring the connect to fit with the Power supply cables.

• Scary_Guy
    Options

No fan connector on a motherboard will work for this. I'll have to wire it in directly to the supply. If the motherboard would work I wouldn't really need a controller because the board would act as one (or at least any good board would anyway.)

• Lambdaben
    Lambdaben ✭✭✭
    5 Likes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls
    Options

If I knew anything about electrical engineering, I would help you out, but my knowledge doesn't fare past simple soldering.....

• Shoan041
    Shoan041 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    Options

You might have to make a custom controller to connect directly with the power supply. Most of the controllers that I have seen run off SATA Power, which probably wouldn't be enough to run it either.

• Scary_Guy
    Options

I really hate linking to outside stores but I'm pretty sure MC doesn't sell this, and Amazon is the devil. Though I found this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083J3WMND that seems like it may do the job. Sketchy electronics from China? Yes, please! Though I'd need a converter or to chop one of the ends off (and I really don't want to do that even if the PSU is modular.)

I'm also not sure whether or not I should wire them in series or not. I'm leaning toward yes because one controller to do everything = less cost and less to control.

Also here's a photo of them mounted to the top, and also my foot!

I plan on removing the mesh on the top of the fans, and adding back the air blocking sheets they had glued on and cutting a hole in those. As I said, it's a prototype unit and newer units don't have this mesh. Though I still can't fathom why they'd have done that, and I sort of assume they knew what they were doing since they actually made a supercomputer.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99