Should I upgrade from the Ryzen 7 3700X to the Ryzen 7 5800X3D?

Options

Apologies if I'm doing this wrong. Don't think I've ever utilized this community stuff. Wasn't sure what category to select.

In addition to the Ryzen 7 3700X, I have 32GB of RAM and now an RTX 4080 up from an RTX 3070. I also swapped out my 850W PSU for a 1000W one. Is my Ryzen 7 3700X essentially bottlenecking my 4080?

Best Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Answer ✓
    Options

@BKeyOn

I would, the 5800X3D is still one of the best gaming processors around. It's a solid upgrade for the AM4 platform until you decide to make the move to a DDR5 platform down the road. You won't need the new PSU, the X3D power draw tends to be fairly low. VCore is limited protect the V-Cache, they tend to draw 70-80W's at full load.

As for if the 3700X is a bottleneck, check your GPU usage against your CPU usage while you're gaming. At 1080P or 1440P? I would say it's a bottleneck. At 4K? Probably not.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Answer ✓
    Options

@BKeyOn

I believe there would be a bottleneck at 1440p, but I don't believe it's going to be significant enough to really cause you any issues in the short term. If you feel like you're seeing performance issues, check your CPU/GPU usage. If the CPU is high and the GPU drops, you're bottlenecked. Keep in mind there are some games that benefit significantly from the V-Cache on the X3D CPU's. My opinion is the 5800X3D is a good CPU and it maxes out the AM4 platform for gaming. If you want to keep this system for a few more years before you do a significant upgrade, I'd go for it. If you're gonna upgrade in the near future, I'd save your money.

Answers

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99