Turning on HDR in Resident Evil 3 turns my screen red. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Options
NateDZD
NateDZD ✭✭
First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper Photogenic
edited May 2023 in Gaming

I'm wondering if anyone here can help. I'm trying to play RE3 with HDR on, but whenever I enable HDR, my screen turns very red. It appears to be an issue with my monitor as it doesn't affect screenshots (see attached images).

Here are my specs:

• Graphics card: AMD RX 7950 XT (Reference)
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
  • Monitor: MSI MAG342CQR

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@NateDZD

Try Nvidia Control Panel - Adjust Desktop Color Settings - Use Nvidia Settings - Apply.

• NateDZD
    NateDZD ✭✭
    Options

I'm using an AMD card, so I don't have Nvidia Control Panel. Also, I've actually decided to forego HDR. The peak brightness on my monitor is only 300 nits, so it's not really worth it to use HDR, and no matter how I calibrate it, my display looks slightly worse with it on. Nowhere near as bad as I've seen on other so-called HDR monitors, but just bad enough that disabling HDR feels a tad more "natural."

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@NateDZD

My mistake, I had an issue like this back when the game launched with HDR, where the screen had a pink tint, read your description and thought it might be the same problem. Should of verified the specs.. Should be under Settings - Display in the Radeon Settings. Check color depth and try custom color. Try calibrating with this tool: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/calibrate-your-hdr-display-using-the-windows-hdr-calibration-app-f30f4809-3369-43e4-9b02-9eabebd23f19

• NateDZD
    NateDZD ✭✭
    Options

@PowerSpec_MikeW Thanks! Yeah, that's the calibration tool I used when I first got this monitor. I think I'm going to leave HDR off for now though. I just tried recalibrating, and something doesn't appear to be working properly. The pattern isn't appearing on the second and third images; everything just looks completely white, no matter how much a adjust the slider.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@NateDZD

You've done what you can, like you said before at 300 nits you're limited by the panel.

• NateDZD
    NateDZD ✭✭
    Options

Okay, so if anyone stumbles across this thread in the future with a similar problem, here's how I fixed it.

It turns out having night light on in Windows severely affects the game's color in HDR. It appears to be completely fine with HDR off and night light on (albeit tinted with whatever blue light filter settings you have in place) or with night light off and HDR on (in the game's settings), but not both.

And interestingly enough, even at 300 nits, HDR makes a pretty noticeable positive difference in this game. I've tested it in some other games, and it doesn't look as good, even after calibrating. But for some reason RE3 just looks better.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@NateDZD

Interesting. Night light shouldn't start filtering blue light until the evening. Did you have this problem earlier in the day with night light on?

• NateDZD
    NateDZD ✭✭
    Options

@PowerSpec_MikeW I haven't tried it during the day. I'm usually working until 5 and hanging out with my fiancée in the evening. I usually don't start gaming until late at night.

What's fascinating is just how much blue light is being filtered out when HDR in the game is turned on.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@NateDZD

That makes sense, it's supposed to start filtering light gradually in the evening. It's a slow progression that you typically wouldn't notice. Most games will disable it in full screen mode and you'll see a noticeable change. Apparently not RE3. Are you on Windows 10 or 11? Playing in full screen or windowed mode?

• NateDZD
    NateDZD ✭✭
    Options

@PowerSpec_MikeW

I'm on Windows 11 in full screen mode.

The annoying thing is that in pretty much any other game, I'd just leave HDR off and be totally fine with it. But in RE3, the banding in SDR is so bad, and HDR is a massive improvement on it. It could have something to do with just how dark the environments are in that game. Now that I'm typing this out, I'm curious how other darker games look.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99