Windows Code invalidated (Micro Center Mistake)

Options

I'm looking for assistance and I'm getting the run around from my local service desk.

I had a pc built by the service folks. There were some hangups. The pc build kept boot looping. They tried a multitude of solutions but eventually concluded that the old case of the existing build I'd brought in wasn't meshing with the motherboard. However, that progression means I have an issue.

I brought my PC in and told them about the boot looping issue. We couldn't replicate the error. We ran a full pc doctor scan confirmed that all the parts were working ok, and I went home. However before I left, I picked up a copy of windows 11 activation code because that was a secondary issue. I went home, activated windows with the new code. Then the boot looping returned...

I took it back to my local shop. Eventually they came to the above conclusion and putting it in a new case has produced a stable build and it's very nice. In the process they tried swapping out the motherboard. Now my windows activation code won't work because I used it that night when it worked for an hour.

I'm getting the run around from the Service Department, which has otherwise been incredibly nice. I understand its a manager level decision, but none of the managers want to do anything. My last call I was sent to generic Micro Center support line, which I'm pretty sure was an avoidance method, but I'm on hold now, and have been for 20 minutes. Soooo Hoping one of you all can help me take the windows code off of the previous motherboard and attached to this one.

Given that the removal wasn't my decision and was done by micro center personnel (Which I don't dispute was the right move), I don't want to have to spend another $120 because of it.

Answers

• Padkins37
    Options

I've been in touch with Microsoft and they said they can't do anything because the code I bought from Micro Center is OEM and not transferable.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@Padkins37

I'd try this first.

1. Windows + R and type: SLUI 3
    2. Under Activate State click the Troubleshoot.
    3. Select 'I Changed my Hardware' and select the system there.

See if Microsoft will let you reactivate it on the new board.

• Padkins37
    Options

I know how to get to the activation screen.

The Troubleshoot option wants me to enter my microsoft login, which I do. Then my password, which I provide. Then it wants the password again, and no matter what I type or how many times I change it and know that I'm typing the exact same thing in as the previous password screen, it says its wrong.

Like I said, I talked to Microsoft tonight and they're saying the Win 11 is OEM and cannot be transferred. Which is something that Micro Center should have rectified after the build was stable. Instead I'm trying to get a manager to resolve the issue and they're not cooperating.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@Padkins37

Understood, there's an open request with the store to have your local management team look into this. They should be reaching out to you.

• Padkins37
    Options

Here's hoping!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99