New build thoughts

Options
Just wanted to get advice and thoughts on this build. Not sure if I need to upgrade any of the parts or something. I’m also not usually one to overclock so I’m not sure if a different cpu would be better, or if an i9 would also be something to consider 

Cpu: i7 13700k
CPU cooler: cooler master hyper 212 
Motherboard: Asus z790-a rog strix
ram: 32gb Corsair vengeance ddr5 6000
PSU: Corsair rm850x
gpu: msi 4090 gaming x trio 

Comments

• GavinT
    Options

@Winter What do you plan on using the PC for, as that may change my answer to the i9 question?

That processor is known to run on the hotter end and while I understand you won't be doing any overclocking, I honestly don't think the Hyper212 is a good choice for this build.

I'm not saying it's a bad cooler by any means, nor am I saying that air cooling is bad. In fact, I think a cooler such as the AK620 may be a good choice if you want to go down that route.

The Hyper212 would be just be adequate - It would get the job done, if that's all you need. But even compared to other air coolers, it leaves a lot to be desired. So if you do go with it, keep in mind that your thermals will have room for improvement.

• Winter
    Winter
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2023
    Options
    @GavinT_TS mainly gaming, I’m curious about the i9 because I use a 1440p 144hz monitor along with a second one on the side. Not sure if that would improve performance or not. 

And thanks for the pointer on the cooler. I usually go for a noctua nh-d15. Do you think that would be decent? I’m honestly not the most familiar with cooling. I’m curious about AIO but I’m always paranoid that with my luck I’d get the one that would leak
  • GavinT
    Options

I would say the NH-D15 would be an great choice on the air cooled side! You're getting more heat pipes, a slightly larger fan with higher CFM, and a longer warranty too.

As for AIOs, in most cases you don't have much to worry about in terms of leaking. My suggestion would to go with a reputable brand if you want to try out an AIO. Personally, I would rather pay more for a brand that's been established and has had a good reputation for the past 15 years, than a company that's just popped up out of thin air and may be gone in 3 months.

Furthermore, in most cases AIOs don't require too much maintenance. You don't have to be concerned about flushing them, as it's a closed loop at the end of the day. Sure, you'll have to clean the fans and fins on the radiator once in a while, but you'll want to be doing that anyway with all of your other fans.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours! You can have an air cooler, AIO, custom loop, or an underwater build as far as I'm concerned. That's the beauty of building your own PC!

• Winter
    Options
    @GavinT_TS thanks! I’ll probably go with the noctua then, I’ve been curious about AIO it’s just been hard to sort out the ones that people seem to like a not with how varied opinions are. I’ll do some more research on those but at least I have a solid air cooling choice!  

As far as the i9 vs i7 do you have any pointers there? 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99