I need help on my first ever pc build

Options
jeans
jeans ✭✭
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
edited June 2023 in Help Choosing Parts

Hi, I recently got into learning about PC building and parts and wanted to build my very own first pc. I'm currently using a GTX laptop so the pc will be a huge upgrade. I wanted to build something that would last for the next 5-10 years and be able to run AAA games butter smooth. My budget is around $1,500, but am okay with going a little over. I need opinions on my build before I purchase all the parts next week please, thank you!

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-amd.aspx?load=c3edff7f-6f47-48e8-b86f-8b946965dab7

Comments

• Shoan041
    Shoan041 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    Options

Hi, do you already have an operating system for your computer? I don't see one on your list.

• jeans
    jeans ✭✭
    Options

thank you for replying Shoan. I was unsure whether I needed one of those, but your question confirms my suspicion that I might have to pick up an OS too. Do you have any suggestions for one? I prefer running on windows.

• Shoan041
    Shoan041 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    Options

Windows 11 Home for home use, or Windows 11 Pro for business use or if you want more networking options and remote control.

• GavinT
    Options

@jeans Other than the OS that Shoan mentioned, it looks pretty good!

I do want to bring up the idea of future proofing. When it comes to building PCs, that term can get thrown out a lot, but I want to clear up some confusion:

If you built that exact PC today, it would be able to run most modern games AAA games that you throw at it at a decent frame rate. In 5-10 years, you could likely build this exact PC again, and be able to play those same games at decent frame rate, just like day one.

However, the odds of it being able to play new AAA games at the same frame rate is unlikely. Even if those AAA games have the same graphical fidelity as the AAA games you play today.

A great example of this is ray tracing. Before RTX cards hit the market, developers got really good at faking lighting effects. So good, that you could take two games, one developed with ray tracing in mind, and another that didn't - and you might not even be able to distinguish the two at first glance. That first game would run great on something like a RTX 2070, with ray tracing on but horribly(or not at all) with a 1080 Ti. On the other hand, the second game would run great on both cards, despite looking almost the same.

The point I'm trying to make with that example is that it's not just the visuals that change with games that can alter how good the game runs, but rather the new hardware that gets released alongside of it.

That being said, tomorrow, Nvidia could release a piece of hardware that makes all other forms of real time rendering a joke. It won't make your games look better, or run any faster, but it's so efficient, that developers wouldn't think twice about utilizing it.

That leaves you with a great video card, that could run these new games without an issue, yet it's rendered obsolete in a blink of an eye, because it doesn't have the new technology that the developers move to.

So can we really future proof anything now, without some sort of omniscient superpower to know what tomorrow is going to bring?

At the end of the day, you should be focused building a system that runs great for the games you want to play today, rather than spending time and energy hoping that it'll play some other games tomorrow!

TL;DR - You can't future proof if you don't know what the future is beholds!

• jeans
    jeans ✭✭
    Options

@GavinT_TS

Thank you for the reply and clearing my doubts! I was worried before about needing to get all the latest parts, but that would make the build very expensive. I think that this build I have right now would really work well for the things I want to run.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99