New build for Photoshop/Lightroom

Options

Hi - I have built computers in the past over the last 30 years (starting with an intel 286!) but the technology has got away from me and I deperately need to get a new platform for my photography.

I have done a lot of reading and read the Adobe platform guidlines and come up with the following machine. Can someone that has more experience than I look it over and see if I am missing anything? Will it all play together and provide a good, lightning fast user experience?

• Intel i9 13900K Raptor Lake Processor
  • ASUS Z790 Creator ProArt ATX Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengence 32GB DDR5 memory
  • Fractal Design North ATX mid Tower Case
  • Maingear Ignition 850W modular power supply
  • GeForce RTX3060 8GB PCIe Video Card
  • Solidigm 1TB M.2 SSD (Operating System)
  • Solidigm 2TB M.2 SSD (Application Drive)
  • Another 1TB SSD for cache?
  • WD Black 6TB SATA III 3.5" drive (Photo library)
  • Noctura NH-U12A CPU cooler
  • Windows 11 Pro Operating system
  • Noctura NF-P12 Case fans x3

[I cannot seem to post the link to the Micro Center parts list as I am a new community member]

Thx,

Paul

Answers

• Vaganza
    Vaganza ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls 5 LOLs
    Options

The ProArt will look sweet in the Fractal North, just a couple things that I see that you may want to think about.

A separate Application drive from the OS drive isn't really necessary and can be rather troublesome anyway, the OS has a small footprint anymore, I just moved all my design apps to a 2 TB NVMe with the OS, it will perform better there, same with the drive for Cache, it really doesn't help that much here.

For the video card, you may want to bump up from the 3060 to a 4060, the price point is really good on those.

And then for the mass storage, 6TB is a lot to lose at one time, make sure you have a backup solution there that is basically fire and forget so you don't risk missing a backup. My mantra is there are 2 types of hard drives, a dead one and one that is going to die. I use a NAS at home to store my projects with RAID 5 protection. I also have a very large Drop Box account that all points to, not only for backup, but for access when I am away. There is a great bundle for the 13900k with a Tuf board and 32 GB of DDR5 for $799 right now. It may be worthwhile looking at that. I'm not sure what additional benefits you may need from the much more expensive ProArt board.

• MerkurXR
    Options

Great constructive input @Vaganza thanks. Lots to think about.

Paul

• Vaganza
    Vaganza ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls 5 LOLs
    Options

I build these for artists all the time.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase