MSI B650-P Random Crashes.

Options

When I play games like Tarkov, GTFO, and World of Tanks, I will get random crashes without any warning. Honestly, it applies to every game in my library, but these are what I have been playing the most recently.

These crashes come with no warning, and half of the time freeze my entire system or cause an error in other programs running in the background such as Discord resulting in sometimes a forced restart, the game closes, or a BSOD involving memory management.

I have everything in the BIOS set to default, but EXPO and OC-ing my CPU will result in crashes happening more frequently.

Is there anything I can do to make my system more stable?

Specs:

CPU: AMD 7700X

GPU: AMD RX6600XT

Ram: G.Skill FlareX5 32gb 6000Mhz (Clocked at 4800Mhz/default)

MOBO: Pro B650P Wifi (MSI)

FIX: Setting VDDP to .95V and also had to set the CPU voltage down, it was idling at 1.45+ and I set it to 1.35

Answers

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

We are quite familiar with this board (we use it in our PowerSpec G714) and I can say that we've also encountered some memory stability issues when using this board in combination with higher speed memory kits. Luckily, we figured out the issue as well.

The default BIOS behavior of the board is to load 1.15V VDDP which is too much voltage. Lowering this voltage value down to .9 or .95 results in much better stability overall for memory overclocking. We've already informed AMD and this is something that should be addressed in their 1.0.0.7B AGESA firmware which should be rolling out on motherboards really soon. If you want to adjust this manually in the meantime, you can do so, however we have to give the usual disclaimer of "Micro Center is not responsible for damages caused by overclocking, proceed at your own risk".

If you need to test memory stability, we recommend using HCI Memtest to 200% coverage in combination with several passes of Memtest86. You can find them at the following links:

HCI Memtest: https://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Memtest86: https://www.memtest86.com/

We use the paid versions, but I believe the free versions should have ample functionality for home testing.

As for CPU overclocking, I honestly recommend against it on AM5. There just isn't enough overclocking headroom that is worth instability. If anything, you can use the Curve Optimizer to undervolt the processor for better performance. I don't have a guide written on our forum, but I am sure you can find one online. I personally enjoy reading Skatterbencher's work on overclocking. He is thorough despite also explaining things in a way that makes sense for most people.

• Bisting
    Options

Thank you! I adjusted my VDDP to .95 and things just worked like magic!

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

Awesome, glad to hear it's working now. Let us know if you need anything else.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99