Unable to use AMD EXPO

Options
C0v3rt_X
C0v3rt_X ✭✭
First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer Name Dropper
edited July 2023 in General Discussion

Hello world. I decided to build a 2nd computer based off of AMD's new offerings. I went with a 7950X3D, 7900XT, and 32GB of EXPO certified Corsair memory all on a AsRock Phantom Gaming B650E PG-ITX motherboard. As a standard practice, I always update my BIOS. Unfortunately, I am not able to hit my memory speeds of 6000MHz using EXPO. The system seems to revert back to 4800MHz. Is this a common problem? Or what am I doing wrong? I am new to AMD, and I always used intel and with Intel, I had no issues bumping up to XMP.

I am not able to find any recent resources about this.

Thanks!

Rikki

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2023
    Options

@C0v3rt_X

It certainly can be an issue. If you're not on the beta BIOS 1.28.AS01 the 1.0.0.7b firmware offers much improved memory compatibility at higher frequencies. Otherwise, you're going to want to try to tweak the RAM to stability on the profile. First thing I'd see is if you can load the EXPO with just one stick installed. At least then you can get a look at the timings and voltages to see what the board is trying to do with it loads the EXPO profile.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@C0v3rt_X

Trying the beta BIOS is probably the easiest option. You can always roll back if you find issues with it. I'm sure ASRock will have a full release in a few weeks. The 1.0.0.7b AGESA seems to be a huge step up in memory compatibility for AM5.

Second option is exchanging the RAM for something on the QVL list. Just keep in mind what's on the QVL may not be the same thing for sale today, as when the motherboard manufacturer qualified it. Unless they're sharing specific revisions, it's possible the memory manufacturer may change the IC and you may be in the same boat.

Third option is manual overclocking. Could be simple, could be difficult. I'd try loading EXPO with one stick. If it will POST at 6000 then look at the BIOS settings or use an app like ZenTimings to see what the board is training. You can post the information here. We should be able to tell if you if it's training something that might explain the no POST in dual channel mode.

• C0v3rt_X
    Options

Thanks for your feedback. I am at the beta BIOS but no luck with EXPO. I will wait. I have notified AsRock about it.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99