defective or wrong motherboard

Options
I purchased a motherboard at micro center on Friday along with all the parts for a PC build. I get a persisting orange light that won't turn off which indicates there's something wrong with the ram, however it stays on without the ram and without the CPU. I wish to return it and get another motherboard. Will it be easier to just bring the motherboard in by itself or will a micro center need to help diagnose the issue before accepting the return?

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@Philosophist

You're within the return window, no issue exchanging the parts. You might want to dig a little further first to see what's going on. Will it POST with a single stick installed? What are you seeing before it comes to rest on the yellow RAM debug LED? Are you seeing it cycle several times between red and yellow?

• Philosophist
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Nope. The orange/yellow light pops on after under 2 seconds of turning the power on, no other lights/colors flash, no matter the orientation of the sticks or number of sticks or even with no sticks. My friend and I read up that there are lost of problems with this motherboard and the Ryzen 9, but flashing the bios did nothing. The flash was successful, but not the issue of the light or anything coming on to the monitor.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@Philosophist

Going to yellow that fast tells me it's saying DRAM but really means the processors IMC not initializing. It's not training, it would cycle through if it was. It should at least be trying to train. I'd check the socket for bent pins. Reseat your CPU 8 pin.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99