Can I use a ( 12 pin PCI-E Gen 5 cable to 2--8 pin PCI-E cable.....Power Supply to GPU )?

Options
maggnet
maggnet
First Comment
edited August 2023 in Cases and Power Supplies

I have an ASUS TUF Gaming 850w Gold Power Supply, my GPU Red Devil 6750xt requires 2--8 pin PCI-E cables, only 1 came with the Power Supply.

The 850 has a 12 pin PCI-E Gen 5 output slot and the supplied cable above. Is this cable only for Gen 5 GPU's?

Best Answer

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Answer ✓
    Options

@maggnet

Looking up the PSU online, it should have the CEM5 and 3xPCIe 6+2's. Are you missing some of the cables that were originally included? I'd contact ASUS for replacements.

As for compatibility, AMD hasn't adapted the CEM5 connector on their latest cards. At this time it's only being used on the higher end Nvidia cards. CEM to PCIe is possible, but keep in mind as with most modular cables, it may be specific to the power supply that you have. I've seen cables like this for Seasonic and Corsair. That's it so far.

Answers

• maggnet
    Options

Thanks Mike, in rechecking the parts list there is one cable short, but trying to get that one cable from ASUS could be a painful 3 month project. It is a 2 hour drive to Microcenter, I will order one online.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99