Will a ARCTIC Freezer 33 do fine on a Ryzen 7 5800x3D or should I upgrade the cooler?

Options
BC795
BC795 ✭✭
First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited August 2023 in Air and Liquid Cooling

So I'm planning a CPU upgrade once Black Friday rolls around and I'm eyeing the Ryzen 7 5800x3D.

To give background, since 2020, I've had a Ryzen 5 3600 with the Arctic Freezer 33 with one fan and it's been serving me well ever since. On idle my CPU seems to stay at 45-54 degrees C, and when playing games the highest it goes is the 60-70 range, and I love how quiet it is. However, I don't play the most graphically intensive games, as I usually play Source games (Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, etc), and the most intense games I've played regularly are Fortnite, and another unreal engine game called Tower Unite. As a result, I don't overclock my CPU.

With how hot AMD CPUs tend to be and that the cooler I have first came out in 2017 and seems to no longer be made, I am wondering if it can still get me by with a 5800X or if I should get a new cooler. The most I'd be willing to spend is around $50 and I'd love to have another quiet but effective cooler like the one I have. I even wonder if the newer ARCTIC Freezer A13 X will do just fine given the games I play.

If it helps, here's the specs of my rig. Thanks in advance!

• Case: Corsair Carbide 200R
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 33
  • RAM: 32GB
  • Mobo: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX
  • GPU: MSI GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B

Best Answer

Answers

• BC795
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for the insight. I'll definitely monitor the heat for idle and games once it is installed just to be sure there's no issues.
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    Options

I would mostly pay attention to the boost clocks. These chips are designed to boost to 95C then throttle back down slightly. The 5800X3D runs warm even on water just based on the CCD layout of the processor, so as long as it can maintain a solid boost frequency, I'd consider it fine.

• BC795
    BC795 ✭✭
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2023
    Options

How can I check the boost clocks? Haven't done that before, and in that same breath, is 95C referring to temperature or a different thing? Unless I'm mistaken, I've heard 90 or higher degrees C isn't good for the CPU/Mobo

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@BC795

You can use OCCT or HWiNFO64 as examples of programs that will monitor your current frequency across all cores. You're just wanting to see what the frequency reaches under load. The CPU's will boost until they hit a cap. Could be the max boost clock which is unlikely. Could be power, possible with a 5950X, not going to happen with a 5800X3D. VCore is locked, power consumption is relatively low. You're not going to hit that 142W cap. That leaves thermals. If you're seeing the CPU in the 90C range, but you're hitting 4.4Ghz against a 4.5Ghz max boost clock, you're doing very well. I wouldn't be concerned about that temperature, the CPU is boosting as it's designed to do.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99