RAM Slots not all working?

Options

Hi all.The problem: new build (components below) and can't get more than one Ram Module to be recognized. Only way system will post/load is if one 16GB module is put in slot B2...the furthest away from the CPU. Any other place (like putting another module in A2 or A1/A3) and I the DRAM light on the MB goes solid yellow and no video. The components below (less Power Supply) were a MicroCenter bundle so I'm assuming they're compatable:

• ASUS Z690-PLUS TUF Gaming WiFi D5 Intel LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 3.6GHz Twelve-Core LGA 1700 Boxed Processor
  • G.Skill Flare X5 16GB DDR5-5600 PC5-44800 CL36 Single Channel

Power Supply is a Corsair RM850e 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply. I've been able to load the OS and use it but would like to get the other 16GB RAM working.

Any Help/thoughts?

Thanks,

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@Nomo

It should post with a stick in any of the slots. B2 is typically used for one stick because trace wise, it's a shorter distance to the CPU socket and this makes the optimal choice, but it'll work in any slot. So this sounds like an issue with the board or CPU and there other three are effectively dead. When you put a stick in any other slot, what do the debug LEDs do? Do they cycle several times, or does it just go yellow and stay yellow? What CPU cooler are you using?

• Nomo
    Options

I'm an idiot...it's single channel RAM. Moved the DIMMs to the same channel and it all works fine. I don't think I've used single channel since the last century but that's what came with the MB/CPU/RAM bundle. Thanks for the response, I'm going to go crawl back under my rock and read up on memory types again...

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@Nomo

It shouldn't be limited to single channel mode. So you're saying all the slots do work individually, but if install a stick in each channel it fails to POST?

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99