KVM Switch or HDMI Splitter?

Options

Hello everyone. I am trying to figure out what to use to use my 3 monitors with both my work laptop and my personal pc. I would also like to use the same mouse and key but that is not necessary. I tried looking things up but it was very confusing.

Comments

• Aodhan_Gorman
    Aodhan_Gorman ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Name Dropper 5 Likes
    edited August 2023
    Options

For your laptop you will most likely need a docking station or several adapters depending on the laptop. For your desktop you probably just need the right cables as long as it has a decent graphics card.

For switching keyboard and mouse between the two, you would need either a KVM switch or a software KVM.

If you wanted to not have to individually swap inputs on all 3 monitors, you would need a multi-HDMI or multi-DisplayPort switch which can be kind of pricy.

Getting a docking station that does both multimonitor and KVM are notoriously expensive because you are combining a lot of different hardware solutions but would offer the most seamless transition between both setups.

I would recommend bringing in your laptop and a picture of all the ports on your desktop and monitors to a local Micro Center to speak with a general sales associate because they have the most training on solutions for this kind of setup and will also know the best deals for you!

• Ian
    Options

Hey there, you'd be looking for a triple monitor KVM switch to accomplish something like this. A HDMI splitter wouldn't properly accomplish what you're looking to do. There would be a lot of KVM switches out there so you would need to verify in the specs that it does list its compatible with 3 monitors.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99