How do I fix my G715?

Options
DrakeTB
DrakeTB
First Comment
edited August 2023 in PowerSpec
I purchased a G715 the other day and have had nothing but a horrible experience with it. To be fair, I bought an open box model and I am almost sure that with the amount of dust buildup, it was a floor model.

Initially it seemed very promising, XMP and Rebar had been enabled by Micro Center and there wasn’t any bloatware installed. Then everything went wrong pretty quick.

The computer will black screen out of nowhere every 5-10 minutes and give me an AMD driver issue notification when it starts displaying again. It will also reliably crash every 30 minutes. It will show the windows blue screen message tiled along the top 1/5 of the display with the bottom 4/5 being bands of stringy colors. The computer will then reboot normally and act like nothing happens. It literally can’t launch any games. If I try to launch Star Citizen, Halo Infinite, or BG3 it will crash after getting through the main menu and then reboot the computer. 

I believe in most instances that I am the idiot. Before I leave a negative review I want to go through every avenue to see what I’m possibly doing wrong or what I can fix myself.

For context I replaced all the fans with Noctua’s and added two more sticks of the RAM that came with the computer to bring it to 32 gigs total.

Things I’ve done to fix it: 
- Updated the motherboard BIOS
- Updated all drivers
- Reseated both the RAM and GPU
- Tried running it with only 2 sticks instead of 4
- Disabled XMP
- Tried multiple memory speed and voltage combinations
- Reseating every cable in the computer
- Tried to change the slot the RAM sticks were in
- Reinstalled windows
- Disabled Rebar

Even when diagnosing the problem I had trouble. The CPU temps never exceed 75° and the GPU never went over 55°. Prime 95 was only able to get one core to compute without error. HW info and task manager didn’t show anything out of the ordinary when crashes occurred.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix it please let me know. I’m willing to try just about anything before I accept that I lost the silicon lottery. 

Answers

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99