Need Help with a build

Options

I purchased all my parts at Microcenter Fairfax and would like to upgrade my current build. I am a veteran that has experienced some memory issues over the last two years and lost track of technology so I really need some assistance. I would like to use my current case which is an ATX and I would like to be able to do some video editing as well as day to day projects using MS Office: I prefer Intel. I also do not need any super computer as I do not do any gaming. My current specs are:

Case: Obsidian Series 750 full tower ATX Case

Motherboard: AususTech Z97-AR

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790 CPU, 4.0 Ghz, 3600 Mhz, 4 Core, 8 Logical   Processors

Physical Memory: 16 Gb (DDR3) upgradeable to 32 Gb

Graphics Card: Nvidia GE Force GTX 760 (2Gb) Driver 27.21.14.5671

Power Supply: CX750M

Wifi card

Top Fans: Cougar PLA 12025812, CF-V12HB (2 each)

Front (2) and rear(1) Fans : Corsair A14Z5L12S-2

Answers

• Ian
    Options

Greetings. What is the intended use of the PC and your overall budget?

• mccstr
    Options

Thanks Ian, I would like to use it for video editing, photo manipulation, and normal day to day activities. I have lots of windows open for some of my therapies as well. I do want lots of storage capabilities as I am scanning lots of photos and putting them into libraries as well as storing them on external devices upon completion of the projects. As far as budget, I don't have any restrictions, I just do not want any of the water cooled systems as I am not ready to get into gaming for a while to come. I do want a solid video card

Thank you

• mccstr
    Options

I really need help on this. I really need to do this build, for therapy as well as for some of the applications that will help me return to a better quality of life. I have a friend that is going to go to Micro Center to get all my parts and bring them to me. I really need to upgrade my existing cpu to support the use of Pinnacle Studio. I have never dealt with water cooled systems and quite frankly scared of trying to build a system with that. I would like to stay with the traditional type cpu. I have no limits for my budget. I would like to reuse my ATX Obsidian 750D case. See my current specs above. I really need to get this done as soon as possible. Thank you

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

Pinnacle Studio's tech specs says it can make use of a graphics card with CUDA, which is an nVidia technology. Are you using a paid full version of the software? Often the free or trial does not enable this kind of thing.

• mccstr
    Options

Yes I have been using paid version since before Corel bought it. I think version 9 and they are at 26 now. I have forgotten how to use it so it is going to be a huge learning curve, but hoping it will jog my memory.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

OK, so we can get you an nVidia based graphics card.

That case, the Obsidian, was really good when it was new and probably has no problem with an 84W CPU and 170W graphics card. However, anything new is likely to be double that power. A good CPU choice would be the i5 13600K but that by itself is up to 181W. Cooling will quickly become a serious issue. I highly recommend you consider a new case. Can you browse MicroCenter's and Corsair's websites to see if there's a newer model you like? Preferably one with "Mesh" or "AirFlow" in the model name.

• mccstr
    Options

Thank you but a question....just want to verify. The Obsidian that i have has a 750w power supply is that not enough? I have no problem with a new case should I stick with the Full tower or will a mid tower work?

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

750w may or may not be enough depending on what parts are in the final selection.

Mid size towers have enough space unless you will get the very largest and most powerful of graphics cards. which the latest models can be physically large. I'm thinking that for "some video editing" you'll be fine with a 4070 or 4070Ti, which are powerful without being over the top. The very largest one MC carries is 336mm in length. Case descriptions will list max card length. Compare to the largest 4090 at 358mm. I know you said your budget will allow anything, but you may not want to just spend money just for the greatest. A 4090 will be hot, run its fans a lot (make noise), and definitely need a new power supply. A 4070 or 4070Ti would not need a new power supply (I assume you kept all the cords if it is not modular. You may need to check that you have all the cords. One of those will need 2 of the 8 pin PCIe cables). Also these two models are getting a good reputation for having an excellent performance to power usage ratio.

Corsair made an "Airflow" version of the 750D with a mesh front. Is that the one you have? It looks like this: Obsidian Series™ 750D Airflow Edition Full Tower ATX Case (corsair.com)

• mccstr
    Options

My current case is not airflow or mesh. I will more than likely get the Corsair 7000D Airflow Full tower ATX PC Case that has a Max card length of 450. I also would like to have M2 slots for the ssd's if possible. I would like to have options for adding ssd's (at later date) as well.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

OK, great, so at this point we have:

Case: Corsair 7000D Airflow

Power Supply: Brought in from prior system

CPU: Intel 13600K or 13700K -- The performance difference is very small but the price difference is large but sometimes the 13700k goes on special so why not get that if it is. Either will last as long as the old i7 has.

Motherboard: The $250-ish range is the sweet spot for good quality and features. This one in particular I think would be a good choice because it has 3 spaces to put m.2 drives and you mention wanting several of those. Most motherboards take 2 I think: ASUS B760-Creator ProArt WiFi Intel LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard - Micro Center

CPU cooler: Both CPUs above can generate a lot of heat. This cooler is rated to handle either: DeepCool AK620 CPU Air Cooler - Micro Center Then there is the all black model if the looks matter to you: DeepCool AK620 ZERO DARK High-Performance CPU Cooler; Dual-Tower Design; 2x 120mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing Fans; 6 Copper Heat - Micro Center

Graphics card: This one would (A) let you keep your old power supply and (B) positively rip through video editing: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti ProArt Overclocked Triple Fan 12GB GDDR6X PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card - Micro Center It also comes with 3 months of Adobe Creative Cloud subscription if I'm reading it right. That is from Asus, not Microcenter.

RAM: Microcenter only has Corsair and TeamGroup DDR5 I think. Corsair's Dominator series is very good, so is their LPX. This is one where your friend picking up the parts should ask at the BYOPC counter which is a good match with that motherboard. You probably want a 32GB kit of 2x16GB.

For storage, well, that motherboard takes 3 m.2. Personally I'm brand impartial. I have Samsung, Crucial, and Western Digital in my system so just get whatever is a good deal on the day you go in. Each brand has a high end and low end line, and you're not on a strict budget so get any of the high end best deal between: Samsung "Pro" or Crucial "P5" or WD's "Black" and you'll be happy with it.

I think that's about everything. Any individual MC may or may not be out of stock on any particular part on the day you go to get it.

• mccstr
    Options

Thank you so much....this motivates me to try and catch up in technology and hopefully this will help with my memory issues. It has already inspired me to read more, even if it is difficult. It takes a lot to understand but baby steps will help. Once again thank you...I am thinking I am going to go ahead and purchase a corsair power supply as well....If I am going with a new case, may as well go all new

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99