Error 0x80070035 when trying to connect to PowerSpec G439

Options

I have 2 PCs on an ethernet network. When the G439 tries to connect to the Dell, there is no problem. However, when the Dell PC tries to connect to the G439, it "sees" the PC but will not connect due to the above error. I have googled the error code and tried the various "cures" suggested, but no success. MS Support suggested a PC reset, which I did. Still no success, even after implementing the same "cures." Any suggestions?

"Cures" tried:

1. Enable SMB 1.0

2. Change/Modify Network Security Settings

3. Reset TCP/IP to NetBIOS

4. Check drives to be sure sharing is enabled.

5. Enabled Network Discovery and File Sharing

6. Reinstalled Network Adaptors

7. Used Regedit to Add "AllowInsecureGuestAuth" and turn it on.

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Chip_E

Could you compare, preferably screenshot the registry values for reach system under: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0 ?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Chip_E

Looks like the G439. I'm expecting two keys on the Dell:

RestrictReceivingNTLMTraffic

RestrictSendingNTLMTraffic

I expect this is a holdover from a security patch for a zero day Zoom security vulnerability from early 2020. Zoom patched it, but if you had an unpatched Zoom client in your base image it was a potential security risk. Having those settings enabled will cause the kind of issue you're experiencing.

• Chip_E
    Options

Yes, the screen clip above is from the G439. The same registry location on the Dell is identical. The Dell was purchased about a week or so after the G439 and was also upgraded to Windows 11. Should I add those two keys to the registry and set the data values to "1" for the Dell (and/or the G439)?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Chip_E

No, those keys shouldn't be there, I expected they were one one of the systems via a group policy and was the cause of the issue. Blocking NTLM authentication is typically what throws this error. It'll basically refuse to send authentication information over an SMB network share using NTLM authentication, which is what will be used unless you're on a domain with active directory which would use Kerberos and NTLM as a failover.

This is just a home network, correct? Are you connecting to the PC's via the IP address or the computer name?

• Chip_E
    Options

Yes, it is a home network. We have set up the network as "private." We are connecting via computer name.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Chip_E

Kind of sounds like a local DNS issue. Try connecting to the PowerSpec via IP. Then try running nslookup from command line "nslookup <ip>" and see if that returns the correct computer name.

• Chip_E
    Options

I'm not sure how to do a connection via IP. Do you have a link for instructions that steps me through that process?

BTW: Just out of curiosity, I did the nslookup from the Dell using the IP address of the G439. It did return the correct computer name of the G439. Is it still worth the effort to try to connect via IP?

Also, thanks for all of your help on this!

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Chip_E

Windows + R and type: \\<ip>

Let me know if that does the same thing. Do you have AV software on either system? Or have you had it in the past? We don't include anything but a stub installer for ESET on the PowerSpec, the Dell likely had McAfee preinstalled.

• Chip_E
    Options

So far so good, but it is asking me for the credetnials to access the G439 PC from the Dell. I have forgotten them since I never use them and set them up so long ago. Is there away to look them up or reset them (from the G439 PC, of course)?

• Chip_E
    Options

Disregard the above. I figured it out. I WAS able to access the G439 from the Dell via the IP address as you described. Is there a way to "inform" Windows Explorer of this information so that it can do it the "normal" way?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Chip_E

Would just be a standard login. If it has a problem logging in, make sure it knows you're logging into the PC with a local account. For the username type either <PC Name>\<user> or easier way .\<user>.

A few options.

1. If you have the login info, you can just login. If you don't have a password that's required by default on a network share. You could just create an account with access to the share to use on that PC.
    2. Disable password protected sharing, which sounds like this may already be done on the Dell if you're not being prompted to login. Settings - Network and Internet - Advanced Network Settings - Advanced Sharing Settings - Private or All Networks - Password Protecting Sharing = Off.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99