Sapphire Nirto+ RX 6950 XT Temps

Options

Trying to understand something about temps. So when playing games I have noticed something I cant seem to understand, when I am playing Destiny 2 and in orbit, and when i disable the cap limit, my fps jumps from 162 to 500+ fps, and my junction temp on my GPU sky rockets to 110c, and that's on every setting the game offers Low, Medium, High, and Highest. 

When playing The First Descendent beta, and I play on Ultra settings my GPU again the junction temp sky rockets to 110c. Basically every game I play my GPU junction temp hits 110c. Now I understand that when playing on on the highest of settings the GPU will have a bigger load. Now I do make adjustments and I can play without hitting that 110c temp, but I am looking for some advice here to understand why I have to make these adjustments just to play on the highest of settings. 

When I take the adjustments off and just put the GPU on default every game I play on high settings it just sky rockets to 110c. I do have two monitors on the GPU as well, have 27inch 1080p (Web Browser) and a 31inch 1440p (Main Monitor). Could this be a issue? Could having 2 different resolutions make that much of a difference? I am not sure? I was thinking to0 as well, since I have a R9 7900x and it has a built in GPU on the CPU, I thought about just plugging my 1080p monitor to the MoBo, but have also been told its better to be on the GPU instead.

I am really at a lost here I got this card to play in high settings and knew that the temps would be high, but not this high to point where I feel that I am just gonna end up killing my GPU. I mean 1440p on Ultra settings, I would of just think that the junction would be like 75-85c and my GPU would be like 70c - 75c, buts lts more like 70c - 80c on GPU temp, and 110c on my junction.

Is there a setting I missed or do not know about cause I would really like to think that my card is NOT a lemon here. My build is a R9 7900x, Asus ROG STRIX B-650E-F MoBo, with 32GB of RAMM (Expo not enabled), of course you guys know I have a 6950 XT lol, and a 850w Corsair PSU, oh and yes the GPU is Daisy Chained, have also heard that daisy chain on a GPU is not a good thing. Could that be the issue? I dont know? Any feedback and help understanding this would be grateful Thanks guys. Happy Gaming!!!!

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@Chato

AMD spec is 110c on the junction temp. Sounds like it's balancing on the edge and maximizing performance which is what the card should do. Check your base and boost frequency. If you're throttling under the base, this is a problem. If you're boosting above the base, it's not a problem. You can test with Furmark, MSI Kombustor or OCCT.

• Chato
    Options

This is the temps with GPU tuning disabled, and having the game on Ultra settings

Here are the temps with GPU tuning enabled and having the game in ultra settings. I get that cards get hot with a full load, but this is a 6950 XT I should not have to tune my GPU for every game to just play ultra settings, some games i play are not even that much of resource hogs lol

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Chato

Specs from the Sapphire site:

• GPU: Boost Clock: Up to 2324 MHz
    • GPU: Game Clock: Up to 2116 MHz

You're doing great. Junction temperature is the hottest spot on the die, this not something I would be concerned about at all. Your GPU temps themselves are good and you're getting a nice boost clock beyond what the manufacturer guarantees.

• Chato
    Options

so basically just as long i have GPU tuning enabled my card will be ok, cause I dont want it too hit 110c, i game for long periods everyday, cause when GPU tuning is enabled i can run ultra settings on my games and have temps 75c - 85c on the hot spot. Correct?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Chato

It's up to you. 110c is the max value, it's going to ride that and maximize performance automatically. That's what the card is designed to do. Looks like it's a pretty aggressive boost. You can lower the temperatures by undervolting, setting more aggressive fan curves, or using the tuning feature as you are now. I'd only be concerned if it was throttling below the advertised boost clock, which you're more than 150mhz over at full load.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99