PC randomly goes black and crashes (Powerspec G441, 4 months old)

Options

Hi everyone, I recently purchased PowerSpec G441 on 5/22/2023. 2-3 months after, it's started having an issue with GPU. The monitor (Gigabyte G32QC A) randomly goes black and freezes. I had to force shutdown the computer and reboot every time. I only use this PC lightly, watching YouTube, playing League of Legends (only game I play), and just browsing. So, I dropped off my pc to the microcenter last month (8/26/2023), they inspected and found out GPU was defective and replaced with new one at no charge.

First 2 weeks was fine. But then, the same issue was occurred again, goes black and freezes. I brought it back to the store (2nd time, 9/20/2023) last week and they said no any issue was found. But still, I kept facing the same issue when I using it at home and more often like 10-15th times a day now. I ran benchmark test by PassMark to check the GPU was ok and it failed every time because monitor went black and pc freezes during the test. So, I was kind of pretty sure that the GPU was malfunctioning again.

I took it to the MC one more time (3rd time, 9/25/2023) and they diagnosed my pc and told me it passed every test, even the benchmark that I used and they ran it over the counter in front of me. They said it would be something wrong with the environment such as the power and suggested plugging pc directly to the wall, not the power strip which I was been doing. But I explained them that I have 3 other PC and all of them fine with same power strip and Gigabyte monitor. Then, the guy told me this pc is much powerful (750W PSU) than those 3. So, I ended up bring my pc back (9/26/2027).

I followed as they instructed, plugging PC directly to the wall and the first thing I did was running PassMark benchmarking test. Well, it finally passed very smoothly! I tried couple more times and the results were perfect. Thought the way I’ve been connecting the PC to the power was totally wrong. I was really happy until the problem occurred again this evening (9/27/2023). Just once so far, but now I really don’t know what the problem is and I’m not sure if it is worth to bring my pc back to MC again since they won’t facing the issue I’m experiencing at home.

Sorry for the long articles. This is only 4 month brand new PC. If you know anything about this, please help me out. Any help/advise would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@Kap0604

When it crashes, you get a black screen and a freeze. How do you know this? Keyboard doesn't respond? Are you getting looping audio or you just can't get the screen back?

Is there anything in event viewer at the time of the crash besides the Kernel-Power event?

• Kap0604
    Options

Once the screen goes black and freeze, no signal is found sign pops up. Most time, no sound no keyboard working. But very few times both works, just the screen won't back to normal, freeze.

Nothing much I can't find in event viewer. And the same issue just happened 3 more times while I was doing the PassMark benchmarks for the GPU, even with the different FHD monitor and another QHD Asus monitor I have. Thought the Gigabyte QHD monitor might be the issue, but now I can tell that the monitor is totally fine....

Please help...........

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Kap0604

Nothing under administrative events? Something either about an Nvidia driver crash, or a warning about a PCIe device being removed? If the monitor was a problem, the system wouldn't freeze. It does sound like the GPU, but the likely hood of having a second one that failed in two weeks seems very low.

Now you said when you plugged it into the wall direct it was fine for a while. Was it fine during the day and then it crashed that evening? What was the time frame? Would anything have turned on that increased power consumption in the house in the evening? Either a piece of hardware like an AC unit or maybe other people being home and turning on devices on the same circuit?

• Kap0604
    Options

I didn't see anything related to the Nvidia Driver/PCIe in the event viewer.

Yes, I plugged it into the wall as the tech guy suggested. It seems fine but was just for a day and then I had the same black/crashing issue last night 3 times, around 8-9pm. After then, I haven't encountered the issue yet until this morning.

I don't think any other big equipment/electronics have turned on when it happened, AC wasn't running (60-65 degrees outside). It was just TV in the living room and another person on the computer next door as usual. I never had this issue with my other pc or gaming laptop that plugged into the same outlet with power strip, but only with this PowerSpec G441.

Though the MC tech guy said that the PSU was fine and passed the test, could it be that the 750W PSU came with this pc isn't sufficient? Should I consider upgrading it to 850W to solve the issue? To be honest, I still doubt if the GPU is really ok. I feel like they don't want to replace it with the new one again since they did once already.

Please help me out, this is driving me crazy.....

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Kap0604

Max power load, this system will draw around 500W. It's going to put around a 65% load on that power supply and that's a synthetic stress test, not a normal load. Power supply is more than sufficient, but could be faulty.

We need an easy to replicate it and try to limit the potential bad components here. Are you familiar with OCCT? I'd like to see if you could run say 30 minutes each CPU, Memory, 3D Standard, 3D Adaptive and see which ones the system will crash on.

• Kap0604
    Options

@PowerSpec_MikeW

When I calculated the total power usage at 2 different website (newegg and OuterVision), it came out somewhere between 700W - 799W PSU will be recommended that includes an extra nvme (x1) and ssd (x1) which I added later. And MSI calculation suggested to have 1000W, not sure if this is right. See attached please.

So I was kind of thinking to get 850W PSU but if you think the power is more than enough, I'll probably stick with whatever I have.

And yes, I know OCCT and ran test with OCCT Personal last night after the issue occurred 3 times. But I only ran for 5 minutes each CPU, Memory, 3D Standard, 3D Adaptive, and Vram (but didn't run power though) and found nothing. Is it safe to run the test for 30 minutes? Some said 5 min testing is enough and not to run more than 10 min.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Kap0604

I like Outervision pretty well and 710W, recommending a 750W is very accurate for this system. 50-65% is where you want to be under heavy load to maximize efficiency. When we test the power supplies in our systems, we'll run them at 100%. With the unit in your system, I'd target 825W draw at the wall and expect it to survive a torture test at that level of consumption. If the PSU dies, it fails.

30 minutes of testing won't damage the system. Correct me if I'm missing some information here, but it seems like a lot of these crashes happen in a similar time frame. 8-9PM at night, is that accurate?

• Kap0604
    Options

@PowerSpec_MikeW

I will try to run OCCT test for 30 min when I get home today and update it here.

These crashes not only happen during the specific time. It happened 8-9pm last night but it can be anytime (regardless day/night) while using it. It's just so random. Sometimes while streaming YouTube (especially at 1440p), playing League of Legends, or even just browsing the website. And when the issue continues to occur several times in a short time of period, sometimes it goes black/crashes right after the reboot and login to the windows. And before, the screen once went fuzzy and crashed a couple of times, same like the photo attached.

But again, even if I bring it to the Microcenter again, the problem is they would keep telling me they don't encounter those issues and say everything is fine including GPU. And they also wouldn't replace the GPU even the warranty period is not over yet.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Kap0604

That picture certainly looks like a bad GPU. I'm working on a solution. I'll send you an email later today.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99