What is this noise and can I fix it?

Options
Landon277
Landon277
First Comment
edited October 2023 in Prebuilt PCs and Laptops

G442 coolermaster ML240L 12700KF 6950xt. I think this noise was here for quite a while but it's become more prevalent now, the video starts with me logging into my account and opening a game, the noise is there earlier but becomes much louder as the CPU has more work. I have already check each of the fans and it doesn't seem to be them, note in the video the front panel is off so it seems a bit louder then it actually is but it is still very loud and annoying. Besides just not doing anything CPU demanding, is there something I can do?

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@Landon277

I can't download the file here. Could you upload to a site like youtube or streamable and link it? Are you able to localize the sound to any part of the system? It's going to either be a fan, keep in mind it could be the fan in the PSU. Or coil whine.

Coil whine is just inductor coils vibrating and making a noise. It'll depend on where it is. If it's in a housing, you can't do much besides replace the component. And it mostly likely will be. If it's exposed on a GPU as an example, you can paint it with nail polish. Once it hardens it'll dampen the vibrations and eliminate the noise. Wouldn't recommend this option, purely educational. We can look at it in store and cover it as a warranty issue within the 1 year warranty.

• Landon277
    Landon277
    First Comment
    edited October 2023
    Options

Sadly I can't post links but if you went to https :// streamable.com /d41v77 you might find thing there. And again the noise is quite a big louder than my ears hear it but it is loud enough to go through my headphones at times.

Hello and thank guy for your reply. Just to establish, the computer was bought mid July of this year with the 3 year warranty.

Sadly I isolated the whine away from any of the main fans, 3 case fans 3 GPU fans, 2 radiator fans. Furthermore I believe the whine is coming from the CPU based on it getting louder when it’s load is higher and my the noise being ever so slightly louder in the center of the MOBO as well, but the GPU load does increase at the same time so I guess that isn’t ruled out and I didn’t even consider the PSU until you mentioned it.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Landon277

Understood. I did check the video at home, but I couldn't hear very much in the video. If it's coming from the CPU area, it's either the water pump for the AIO, or coil whine from the VRM. Bring it in and we can check it out in store.

• Landon277
    Landon277
    First Comment
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi there, don't know if you'll respond but today the computer started producing this noise, https:// drive.google.com/file/d/1xi0HvqZV60p-Cpz7D-J4SZ6Lsn2mNn0r/view?usp=sharing and i was able to isolate it to the single fan on the side where everything plugs into. Do I need a new fan and if so would I need to bring it to a microcenter or could you send me one?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Landon277

Shouldn't be a problem to ship one if you're comfortable replacing it. I'll look up your account Monday and see what I can do.

• Landon277
    Landon277
    First Comment
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thank you, sadly this account is not the one used to buy this computer, would it be easier to get you the receipt number or something like that?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Landon277

I'll send an email for that information.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99