How do I fix the bottlenecking in my pc?

Options
I had a performance check done recently and they said my biggest problem is bottlenecking. I have an Intel I7-13700K cpu, a Asus Tuf Gam RTX 3070ti gpu and a Gigabyte Z690 Gaming ATX D4 motherboard. I think the performance check guys said that the motherboard was the problem. Is that true and if so which motherboard should I upgrade to?

Answers

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    edited October 2023
    Options
    What is a "performance check" and who are these "they" who did it? I'm quite curious because (1) this is a reasonably balanced system and (2) you won't see a difference between one motherboard and the other except under rare usages such as extreme overclocking. And (3) you don't mention what you use it for, exactly what games or software?

Mainly motherboards compete on feature set. What feature(s) are missing from your current motherboard that you really want?
  • TyHan00
    Options
    StinceBuilt, I mainly play call of duty and in game there’s a bench mark test. It says the same thing that I have a bottleneck issue.
  • TyHan00
    Options
    I’m sorry I think it was an optimization. They have good reviews. They have you share your screen to help you get the most out of your build. I’ve been a console person all my life until this year when I decided to upgrade so I’m new to this still.
  • nolie
    Options

It could really be any part of the system, including ram, storage, or cooling. A few ideas:

I assume you're running a good amount of RAM (16gb is enough tbh) and they are put in the proper slots (search "how to slot RAM" if you only have like 2 sticks)

Storage was a big upgrade for me when Warzone came out. upgrading from a SATA ssd to a m.2 drive made my game launch literally 8 times faster if I remember correctly.

I know the 13700k is super power-hungry, so with that you need a lot of cooling. I also know it has a fairly low base clock speed that boosts really high, which makes me think that thermal throttling would hit this card extra hard, but i dont know. (I'd think this is where liquid cooled would be best suited, due to the large thermal capacity of liquids to absorb bursts of rapid heating generated by the boost frequency)

I agree that it's likely not the motherboard, cpu, or gpu bottlenecking you directly. hard to say without knowing more about the RAM, storage, and cooling.

• TyHan00
    Options
    I have a Corsair H100I Elite CPLX 240mm for cooling, WD 1TB SN770 for storage, and Corsair 32 Gb 2x16 rgb D4 3200 for Ram. I made sure to look up where to place them for 2
  • magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So while you're playing the game is it slow somehow? When you move the controls there's noticable time before the game on screen reacts? Or is the video jittery or stuttering? Is the frame rate lower than the display refresh rate?
  • zools
    zools ✭✭
    First Answer First Comment Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited October 2023
    Options

Bottlenecking usually occurs when the gpu or cpu reachs 100%, if your gpu is hitting 100% thats the "good" bottleneck, it means your pc is taking full advantage of the gpu. if your cpu is at 100% thats the "bad" bottleneck. it means your pc isnt fully utilizing your gpu, and sometimes when your cpu is at 100% you can experience some bad lag spikes, that happened to me when i was using a ryzen 5 3600 + 6800xt in mw2 at 1080p. Ill also mention the reason a gpu bottleneck is good is because it means the game is fully utilizing the gpu, which is normally the most expensive part of the pc, so ofc you would want to use that the most.

• TyHan00
    Options
    The video is jittery and stutters, and the frame rate is lower than the refresh rate
  • MrHugs7
    Options

Hey y’all so @TyHan00 there’s a few things we need to know still to figure this out a screenshot of the in game OSD of something like afterburner would certainly help us be able to see your temps as well as where you r CPU and GPU are at regarding your motherboard if it was the issue for argument sake it’s more likely to be that you got a faulty board then you actually needing to upgrade because that’s certainly not a bad board. 

Regarding what I said with the in game OSD you’ll need to install Afterburner even tho it’s made my MSI it works with all GPU manufacturers you will also need HW Info to get the most from some of the extra sensors here is a tutorial to get you setup: https://youtu.be/GvM1CT_owoA?si=zUIUnxuZM7c8SLmc

Once you got it running and can see the needed information in-game please send us screenshots of the sensor stats when your game is stuttering/laggy/jittery :) thanks!!

Needed Stats:

FrameRate in FPS (graph will help (how-to is shown in tutorial)) 

FRAME Time in MS

GPU Usage in % 

VRAM Usage in % or MB used

GPU Clock speed in MHz

GPU TEMP in °F or °C (graph plz) 

CPU Usage in % 

RAM Usage in % or MB used 

CPU TEMP in °F or °C (package temp or average between all the cores will do alternatively (if the options are not clear) you can send us a screenshot with all 24 threads showing their respective temperatures) (honestly if you find the package temps graph will be great to see fluctuation’s that way we know how your cooling in holding up) 

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Call of Duty Warzone should get well over 100fps on a 3070 at 1080p.

It's so hard to try to help without details.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99