My monitor is acting strange. Can someone help me figure out what might be causing it?

Options

I don't have a picture or screenshot of it because I don't think to do that when I spot this happening, but I'll do my best to describe it. The monitor itself is an MSI Optix MAG24C for context, that I've had since 2017 or so.

Occasionally, my monitor will have fluxing, thin black bars on the bottom portion of the screen, right near the monitor frame. I'm not sure what the trigger is, but the most consistent thing to cause it is when I have my computer on sleep mode or shut off most of the day, then I turn it back on. They don't stay, they will eventually go away, but how long they stick around seems random. Restarting does not make it go away either. They just seem to have to "run their course."

I've checked my graphics card and everything, so I don't think it's any of that. I did plug in my dad's Dell monitor a while back when I spotted this happening, and when his was plugged in the issue vanished. But I don't know if that was a coincidence or not.

Is this a sign I need to get a new monitor?

Answers

• Rye_Bread
    Rye_Bread ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options

Hey, WildFyreful!

This sounds a lot like the issue I've had with my MAG27CQ, a monitor that came out at about the same time and in the same lineup. When I turn it on, the bottom 1/4 of the monitor has the same lines. Eventually they retreat to nothingness as the monitor "warms up". I've tried every manner of workaround and the only thing that works is setting the refresh rate to 120Hz. Every other refresh rate gives me the same issue. Once the lines are gone it works fine.

I replaced it with the 27" HyperX Armada a few weeks ago. The MAG27CQ is going to a workstation where the refresh rate doesn't matter.

Try adjusting the refresh rate to mitigate the issue, but in my experience it's nearing time for a replacement.

—Rye

• WildFyreful
    Options

Thank you so much @Rye_Bread!

I'm glad to know this isn't a weird issue that uniquely popped up for my monitor, and it has some anectodal documentation of happening with other monitors like yours in the same line up. I've had this monitor since 2017 or so, and use it pretty much constantly, so I agree - it's probably time for a replacement :)

• Rye_Bread
    Rye_Bread ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options

Happy to be of help, @WildFyreful

If you end up trying the trick with the refresh rate, let me know if it's not too much trouble! I'm curious to see if it works for yours as well.

TIA!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99